1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram: 16GB seemed to be slower than 8GB in new machine ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NZGirl, Dec 3, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    I'm using a new machine with Windows 10. It came with 4x 2 GB sticks of ram in it = total 8GB.
    I had two x 8 GB sticks that I used in my old computer that died. I ran a crucial scan and figured these 8 GB sticks would also work in this new machine. And 16 GB would be great for the photo editing I do.
    I put them in (carefully with static strap on etc).

They worked but seemed to be slower than the 4 2 GB sticks I took out. I've searched on line to try and learn more about ram and latency and Mhz etc but it's getting a bit foggy now. Pics attached the 8 GB and the 16 GB in this machine. 8 GB back in machine.JPG 16 Gb ram details.JPG

Does the 8 GB ram seem to run faster because it has lower numbers (9's instead of 11's) and its cycle time is 24 as opposed to 28 with the 16 GB ?

Would I get better results if I put the 2 8gb sticks in and kept 2 of the 2gb sticks in as well..... so all the ram slots were full?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8067 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (412 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B75M-D3H
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. replay

replay

1st set is running at 1333
    The second set at 1600 mhz
    The timings u can set manually in the bios as per what is printed on the stick of ram

3. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks but I wouldn't feel confident doing that. Someone would have to explain it step by step for me.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your original 4 X 2 GB DDR3 modules were running at a 1333 MHz speed.
    Your new 2 X 8 GB DDR3 modules are running at a 1600 MHz speed.

9-9-9-24 are the correct settings for 1333 MHz modules.
    11-11-11-28 are the correct settings for 1600 MHz modules.

Your Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard has 4 memory slots and supports a maximum of 32 GB(4 X 8 GB) of DDR3-1333/1600 RAM.

Everything looks good to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A small amount of 8 GB(20%) or 16 GB(12%) of RAM is being used.

Switching from 8 GB to 16 GB will probably not make your computer run any faster.

Unless any of the functions or apps in your computer has a need for more than 8 GB, it's overkill.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thank you Frank :) I was just expecting 16 to make it go heaps faster...... and was surprised when it didn't.

""A small amount of 8 GB(20%) or 16 GB(12%) of RAM is being used.""
    Does that mean with the 8 GB in the machine the system was just using 20% of its capacity... ... and it had another 80% available to be used if needed?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A speedier and more powerful processor will make your computer "go heaps faster".
    Adding more RAM will not.

The Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitower I'm using right now has 8 GB(2 X 4 GB) of DDR3-1600 RAM.
    Only 21% of that 8 GB is in use, so there's really no need for me to add more.

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

NZGirl and RT like this.
  7. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Where do you find these numbers 1333 MHZ and 1600 MHz ? Ahhh think I have figured it out, you double the number shown in the specky thing ? Yes ?

8. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    With this computer:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8067 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (412 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B75M-D3H

Would I be able to get another graphics card put into it? The photography programme I love to use is VERY resource heavy and recommends these hardware specs. If I could upgrade the graphics in this (happy to try a second hand card) I would try to get that done, rather than having to buy a whole other computer (if I could find a decent 2nd hand one) just to run the Topaz programme.

Topaz requirements.JPG

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard in your computer has a PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slot for a graphic card.
    The slot marked "PCIEX16" is where you want to install it.

However, before you add a graphic card, you need to make sure the power supply unit in your computer can handle it.
    What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit currently in it?

10. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    :) Thanks Frank. This computer has a 500W NAXN PSU in it.
    I've been searching and from what I can ascertain, 500 W should be fine shouldn't it?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A 500W power supply unit should be fine for you, as long as it's not a cheap low-quality one.

Yours appears to be an Enermax NAXN 500W model.

12. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Unfortunately I have no idea if it is a decent.... or how long it has been in the machine for :-(
    I've found this new graphics card and from what I can find online it should work with my motherboard and processor. ??

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1859976043

But I've also read lots of techy pages where people have had issues installing cards into their machines and have had to play around with bios setting etc..... that scares me silly.....

My preferred option is to put a new card in this machine I am using now, and pray it just goes in and works right away..... the other option is to get this machine as it has a good enough card already in it (but this machine I think isn't as good as this one I am using right now ....bar the graphics card already in it)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1858272060

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Personally, I'm a fan of NVIDIA graphic cards and not AMD graphic cards, but the AMD Radeon RX 550 graphic card that you provided a webpage link to looks like a pretty decent one which doesn't use a lot of wattage.

Since that computer currently has integrated graphics, installing a graphic card should automatically disable the integrated graphics and enable the graphic card.
    Make sure to connect the monitor afterwards to the graphic card port and not to the integrated graphics port.
    After you restart the computer and it settles down, make sure to install the current driver for the graphic card.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your system is not using a lot of the current ram, adding more is not really going to do much.

How to properly install a new video card;
    1 With old card still installed, go to the support site of whatever chipset you are using ie AMD or Nvidia. Download the latest driver. Do not use the driver on the support disk that comes with the card; those are almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. When prompted to reboot, just tell it later. Do not reboot at this point
    3 Shutdown and pull out your old card. If using onboard, then there is no card to pull. Install the new card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot. Make any pw connections as necessary
    4 Connect the monitor to the new card. Do not connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
    5 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1 Now reboot when prompted

Done.

15. NZGirl

NZGirl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dee
    Thanks so much Frank :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!