1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM 400MHz vs. 533MHz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff H, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeff H

Jeff H Thread Starter

Hello all, I am looking at finally getting a new system. Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference between these two speeds of RAM? Any links or suggestions would be most welcomed.
    Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're buying a new system, I'd be looking for one with dual channel memory and using PC3200 memory.

I wouldn't start by considering the memory speed anyway, what attributes do you want the system to have, and how much are you willing to spend?

3. Jeff H

Jeff H Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about a Dell Dimension 8400. Pentium 4- 640 with HT-3.2 GHz. The RAM I am considering is 512 dual channel DDR2 SDRAM @400MHz. Possible uses in the future include Arc View 8.3 GIS software, and possibly some limited personal image editing.Very limited gaming use by kids. I am not enough up to speed to build anything and have had great luck with an older Dell system that is approx. 5-6 years old.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since that machine would already be using PC3200, I'm not sure why the first question. :)

5. Jeff H

Jeff H Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,
    I guess the original question was to help me decide whether or not to upgrade to the 533 from 400. Still weighing all options before buying.
    Thanks again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would say its not really worth it unless the price difference is really minimal and its an option when building/buying your Dell.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice