1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram addition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgray21, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rgray21

rgray21 Thread Starter

Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
    Support for DDR 400, DDR 333, and DDR 266
    Su2.5-volt (V) only, 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts

Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (double-sided DIMMs with ×16 organization are not supported)

4 gigabytes (GB) maximum of total system memory

64 megabytes (MB) minimum of total system memory

ECC and non-ECC DIMMs supported

Serial Presence Detect

Support for DDR266, DDR333, and DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs
    Dual Channel Memory Interface where the board has two memory channels with two DIMM sockets eachpport for up to 4 GB of system memory .

ther are two 256mb modules installed now. if i add two 512mb modules will i get the full benefit of all modules. the system is dual channel.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That will give you a gig and a half. Not sure what your concern is. It should go without a hitch on any newer boards, and that one clearly is a new one with support for that much RAM.

But why do you want that much RAM?

3. rgray21

rgray21 Thread Starter

i'm just getting a real good deal on the ram so i figured i'd go ahead and get it

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds good. I doubt any OS can use all that RAM---XP, for example, is about optimized at 512 and doesn't ever use more than that (except, I imagine, under some circumstances that I am unaware of---movie editing, perhaps).

But if I had that much RAM installed, I'd seriously consider installing a RAM drive into at least part of it. I used to use one for my temp internet files and visited pages popped up instantly. Some people use one for temp files or as a place to open large archives since it clearly is many times faster than a real hard drive.

But get the RAM if it's a deal---even saving it for spare is a good idea.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice