1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechieNerd32, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechieNerd32

TechieNerd32 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new laptop that I would like to add RAM to. The laptop is an HP Pavillion model #cc-178cl. It comes with 8g of DDR4 and I believe it is 2133. The capacity is 16g and I would like to max it out. I went to Best Buy (Geek Squad) and they said they don't stock the RAM for it, but if I bought it, they would install it. The tech I talked to has confused me though - he said to buy DD4-L and I have looked and don't see anything like that anywhere. I also did a bit of reading as I was trying to figure out what I needed and someone had mentioned that if a laptop came with 2133 and you added a faster RAM, the system would only go as fast a the slowest stick. Not sure if that is true or not. So, I came here since I have always gotten good advice on this site looking for some good advice and possibly a link to some RAM that would work??

If replacing the original 8g stick with a faster one as well as adding the new one would make a big difference, I am willing to do so if need be.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP Pavilion 15-cc178cl 15.6" laptop which came with these specs:
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-8550U 1.80 GHz quad core processor
    8 GB(8 GB X 1) DDR4-2133 RAM
    2 TB SATA 5400 RPM hard drive
    DVD-Writer disc drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics
    Realtek high definition audio
    Realtek gigabit ethernet
    Intel or Realtek 802.11b/g/n wireless

From what I've been able to determine, that model laptop has a single memory slot and supports a maximum of 8 GB of DDR4-2133 or DDR4-2400 RAM.
    If I'm wrong, someone else here can correct me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. TechieNerd32

You are correct on the laptop. I know that it said maximum capacity was 16 GB of RAM. What would make the other 8GB inaccessible? Is it on board RAM or something?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If your laptop is similar to the one in the video you could open it up to see if it does have a 2nd empty ram slot. If it does you can read the specification of the existing ram stick and look for a compatible new stick.

Opening it up could void any warranty though.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  5. TechieNerd32

Thx for the video. That is the laptop

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!