RAM allowance in MacBookPro??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jennemeg

Hi,

Can someone help me please?? (And I hope I have this question in the right section!)

I've recently starting video editing using my MacBookPro and I'm using iMovie and Premiere Elements 13 (PE 13). I currently have 4GB ram and when I use PE 13 I am getting serious issues with rendering. So I want to upgrade to 16GB - that seems to be the general consensus for how much ram I need.

My question is: will my mac, which has two ram slots, allow me to put x2 8GB ram sticks into the slots? I checked this out with Apple Support and they say the maximum is 8GB (altogether). But, I'm not inclined to believe all that Apple says. So, can I put x2 8GB sticks into the slots?? If I cannot do it with my current laptop, is there a way around it?

This is my mac specs:
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2
Mac Book Pro 15 inch, mid 2012
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Thank you in advance for help. :)

Triple6

Rob
Hi and Welcome to TSG,

Apple has specs on their site: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP694

Appears the answer is it will support 8GB of RAM total. Additional searches say it may work with 16GB but it's not officially supported or tested by Apple. It's going to a be a do at your own risk upgrade attempt. Seems quite a few people have done this successfully.

You can also go to a site like www.crucial.com and it will scan your system and recommend the correct RAM for it, they may list 16GB(8Gb modules) for it.

vembutech

Banned
Check the Macbook pro manual before upgrade. It's better to contact apple support person for up-gradation.

jennemeg

Thanks everyone for helping. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the 16MB.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online