1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM amount not correct in system properties

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by djsubsonik, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djsubsonik

djsubsonik Thread Starter

I have 4 x 1GB sticks of RAM in my new PC i just built recently.. but in XP System Properties it says there's only 3.25 .. why is that? .. does it have to do with the same reason HDDs don't really have 500GB.. if so .. on my old PC i had 768MB of RAM and it said i had exactly that.. :confused: help me please! and thank you!

2. Carey934

Carey934

It's a 32-bit memory address problem with XP.

Windows xp will usually not see more than 3 GB of physical ram. Even though your BIOS post will verify you have 4GB.

If you upgrade to the 64-bit edition of xp then you are able to address up to 12gigs of ram. Of course, you may not be able to find drivers for your printer/scanner/modem, etc...

3. djsubsonik

so that means that i basically have .75 GB of RAM that is useless? :(

4. Carey934

Carey934

Until you get a 64-bit version of XP or Vista, yes. We've talked about this on our show many times...

5. djsubsonik

well good thing my xp pro 2 came with a free upgrade to vista business :) thanks for the help mate!

6. Carey934

Carey934

You'll need the 64-bit version to see all the memory and it will probably be a year or so before you start to see all manufacturers providing 64-bit drivers. Hope you're patient or you don't have much hardware. :)

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This MS note "appears" to be reporting it as a "works as designed" and that the full 4GBs is in fact addressable.

8. Carey934

Carey934

9. Carey934

Carey934

Also, when systems have 4 GB of physical memory the addresses needed to
    address RAM overlap the space needed for I/O. In this case the need for I/O
    space takes precedence and the amount of RAM visible to the operating system and
    applications is limited to 4GB minus I/O Space.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Do you have a link that describes this "overlap"?

djsubsonik asked if this meant that they had 3/4 GB of ram that is useless, and that still doesn't appear to be true. If needed, it will still be used for either I/O, OS or apps.

The other link you provided is dealing with PAE on systems over 4GBs or systems with DEP enabled. And, it also states that the address space on XP is restricted to 4GBs.

So, if they are running a non-DEP system, all 4GBs should be addressable, not withstanding your comment about I/O overlap?

11. bonk

bonk Banned

I really can not see why you would need 4 GB of Ram in a system myself but that's just my option

12. Carey934

Carey934

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice