1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turtle523, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtle523

turtle523 Thread Starter

I have a compaq computer that stopped booting up about six months ago after i ran the restore disks. When I took it to a shop to be checked he found that by moving the RAM card to the empty slot worked and the computer did fine but he warned he didnt know if it would stay that way.
    My daughter had to run the disks again and now its doing the same thing. I was told that the problem seemed to be in the mother board. My question is ... can i take the Ram card out of that computer and put it in my IBM compatible to increase its memory ... or will there be stuff from the other computer stored on that so that i cant use it in another computer?
    HELP HELP:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

turtle523
    RAM (Random Access Memory) only stores information temporarily
    while the computer it is installed in is running. When a computer is properly shut down one of the functions of shutdown is to write information from the vcache to your hard drive.
    So no usable information is stored on the RAM card.
    Swapping RAM cards from one PC to another is not recommended since there are many different configurations of RAM and RAM cards and the card you pulled from the down unit may not be compatible with your other PC. Before you attempt such a swap you should do more investigation on what type of card was in the Compaq and what type is used in the other PC. Motherboards can be very fussy.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice