Ram boot problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

krakerzak

Got a problem...I have tried twice to install new ram, but the computer will not boot. I have a Gigabyte 7ixe4 mobo, 256 MB ram (2 x 128 MB sticks), 80GB WD HD, Win2k. With this setup, everything works great. When I remove the ram and install 1 512MB stick, the computer will not boot. I bought the ram based on the recommended type, PC133 SDRAM DIMM 168 Pin, Low Density. What is causing my hang up? Does this ram have parity and if so, can I use it with a different MB size? Thanks - :confused:

krakerzak

the manual says it can hold up to 1GB? what gives? before the 512, i tried 1 256 MB stick and the same thing happened...

The manual (Pg3) states 3 slots sdram 16 Mb~768 Mb (Max)
Page 22 states max size of each stick is 256 Mb

right and he said that he tried a 256 stick alone and it still didn't work. Now if he actually did that and it didn't work then something else is wrong right? I don't really know how much different voltages or timings would effect this problem but could that be a reason? assuming that he has indeed gotten the correct ram type.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
But the two 128MB sticks work, the 256MB stick may just be faulty or incompatible with his system.

I would try to match the 128MB sticks as closely as possible, get the same speed(100 or 133Mhz), same Latency(CL2, 2.5, or 3), and double or single sided modules to match whatever's in there now.

But a single 512MB stick will not work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online