1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved RAM capacity for Dell Latitude D520 (PP17L)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winpc, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

According to CPU-Z, the chipeset is i945GM and Southbridge is 82801GHM

Its x64 laptop

I've researched that the i945GM chipeset can support 4GB RAM.

The laptop however has only 1 sodimm slot in which I've fitted a 2GB dimm.

When booted System reports 2.5GB of memory, CPU-Z reports 512mb in once slot and 2gb in the other slot.

I presume the slot with the 512mb of ram is actually on-board and can't be changed ?

Why build a x64 laptop where you can only use 2.5GB ram ?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your Dell Latitude D520 laptop has an Intel 945GM chipset, it supports up to 4 GB(2 GB X 2) of RAM.
    It has a module bay on the bottom of the case and a module bay underneath the keyboard.
    It's my guess the module bay underneath the keyboard has a 512 MB module.
    It can be replaced with a 2 GB module.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Several years ago, I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude D630 laptop for my grandson without doing enough research about it.
    I wanted to add more RAM until I discovered that one of the bays was under the keyboard and was difficult to remove and access.
    Needlessly to say, I didn't do it.
    When I later purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude D830 laptop and Dell Precision M6300 laptop, I didn't have that problem because BOTH modules were accessible at the bottom of the case.

If you go to the Dell Latitude D520 support site, then click the "Manuals" link, then click the "User's Guide" link, the on-line manual will appear.
    Note: You need to have Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader installed first so it can be opened and viewed.
    If you click the "Adding and Replacing Parts" link, you will see "Keyboard" and "Memory" links.
    Clicking each link will bring up instructions and images on how to remove/replace the keyboard and how to remove/replace the memory module under it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Thanks again for posting.

The job is sorted. I found the following on youtube and had the job done in about 10 minutes.

The video is for the D530 model where as mine is a D520 but its the same casing.

The laptop is for my young nephew who plays any game that involves trains and is waiting for traincraft to catch up to minecraft 1.8.1

I've put the 2gb sodimm under the keyboard and the 512mb sodimm in the base slot so his pops can order a 2nd 2gb sodimm and install it for him when I've shown him what to do.

All's well that ends well !

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's very close to the same procedure that I went through to remove the keyboard in my Dell Precision M6400 laptop.
    Unlike my M6300 which only has 2 module slots on the bottom of the case, my M6400 has 2 additional module slots under the keyboard.
    It came refurbished with only 4 GB of RAM and I wanted to increase it to 8 GB, so I got brave after reading the pictorial instructions and watching a YouTube video.
    Fortunately, I was successful.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the keyboard removal/replacement was an easy job for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice