Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM card freeze/beep

990 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dustyjay 
#1 ·
After 9 months of perfect performance, on booting up the computer freezes in the process and emits a beep about every 5 seconds. I can't "escape" and the only way I can turn off the power is by pressing the I/O switch in the back (the on/off power button in the front of the computer will not work to turn off).
I found that by removing either one of my 512 Ram cards cures the problem, but the problem recurs when both are in place!
Does anyone have an idea about what is going on, and what should I do next?
Thanx

#3 ·
Download and run memtest http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html run it having one ram stick installed at a time to identify which stick is giving you the problem. Replace that stick if it fails. Are both sticks of ram identical?

#4 ·
Case solved! Since both RAM sticks worked perfectly when alone, I figured that there must have been a communication problem between the two. I reinstalled both in their usual slots, this time making sure that they were perfectly seated and the holding clamps were exactly snapped into place properly. I now have perfectly-working 1 Gig of RAM. Originally, somehow one of the cards must have gotten loose. Thank you all for your help. “We all learn from our mistakes.”

#5 ·
Good job, sometimes it seems as though magic (some think Black Magic) has been performed when things like this happen! Glad to hear you have the problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.