1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM clock speeds (for gaming). 1600MHz vs. 2133?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martinlest, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinlest

martinlest Thread Starter

Putting together specs for a mini-PC (I need one for travel - that will go onto a plane as hand luggage, as I spent most of the year abroad working) for gaming, MS Flight Simulator X & FS9, to be precise. Basic specs I am probably going with:

ASUS® H97I-PLUS: Mini-ITX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Intel® Core i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970

1x480GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s

1x240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s

Windows 7 x64 Premium

But as for the RAM? 16GBs is not so much of an extra layout over 8GBs and 2133MHz RAM not so much more than 1600MHz. However that M/B doesn't support 2133MHz RAM and to get one that does adds some £100 sterling to the overall cost of the PC. So with that M/B I'd get:

16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)

Question is, would that be false economy?? It's quite an increase in price and my feeling is MS FS will run great with the 1600MHz RAM, but any input would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice