1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM compatability and quality

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maninalift, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maninalift

maninalift Thread Starter

Variation of this question has been asked many times. I have a ASUS P4B533-E (i845E) Motherboard, which I believe is compatible with most (all?) PC2100 RAM. Are the following two chips compatible and why the huge price difference? (UK prices given)

Viking AB12872RDDR 1GB PC2100 ( £ 9.99)

Kingston ValueRam 1GB 266MHz DDR PC2100 Reg ECC DIMM CL2.5 ( £217.85 )

The motherboard has three memory slots of which I currently have filled with:

Memory Module 1
    Manufacturer : Nanya
    Model : NT256D64S88B0G-75B
    Serial Number : 12400907
    Type : 256MB DDR-SDRAM
    Technology : 8x(32Mx8)
    Speed : PC2100U 2.5-3-3-6
    Date of Manufacture : 20 August 2003
    Set Timing @ 133MHz : 2.5-3-3-6
    Set Timing @ 100MHz : 2.0-2-2-5

Memory Module 2
    Manufacturer : Samsung
    Model : M3 68L3223DTL-CB0
    Serial Number : F304E1EA
    Type : 256MB DDR-SDRAM
    Technology : 8x(32Mx8)
    Speed : PC2100U 2.5-3-3-6
    Date of Manufacture : 26 February 2003
    Set Timing @ 133MHz : 2.5-3-3-6
    Set Timing @ 100MHz : 2.0-2-2-5

(courtesy of SiSoft's Sandra)

more generally, has anyone got any advice as to the best memory upgrade I can get for the above system for under £ 80.

2. maninalift

infact I can intheory get 2 X 1GB vinking RAM for 9.99

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the two RAM modules are not compatible, that's one difference. The Kingston is registered memory, and it probably not compatible with your motherboard. I'm also amazed that you can buy a 1gig module for £ 9.99, that's less than $20 here in the US, and I'd buy all the memory I could at that price! :D

5. maninalift

yes,, indeed twice 1GB for £10.

All prices are the lowest on froogle.

6. maninalift

this is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Brilliant. I will have to study it to see how complete it is and how it relates to the products available but a damn fine database. Thankyou

7. maninalift

OK if I took out the RAM that is in there and had only say

1 X DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

would the ram them be able to run at 333MHz? It seems a simple question but what is the maximum memory speed ram on my mainboard can work at?

And (I know this is a silly question as it depends on what I'm doing with it) in the above case would it be worth just leaving my two 133MHz 256 MB modules out to get it running faster?

8. bigbear

bigbear

It does depend what your motherboard bios allows you to do, Some detect the ram and set the speed automatically, others set a default and you have tweak the settings to the correct speed or more ( overclocking).
    With the two 256mb sticks of ram you have you need to check if they are double sided, if they are you can not add any more ram ( see post 3 ) you can only replace them with larger ram, IE remove one 256 mb and replace with 1G
    On the other hand if the are single sided you can buy another 256mb and insert in slot 3.

9. maninalift

I shall have a poke around in windows and using the beautiful Sandra*, whom I have only begun to know, and look up my current memory chips' specs. By inspection I seem to remember they look single sided (chips are only on one side of the board).

I am beginning to feel encouraged that if I try hard enough and look long enough I might just be able to find 2GB of compatible ram for my computer for less than £100.

That Crucial site also gave me some great info for comparing ram chips... what all those numbers mean.

Thanks, any more info from anyone on how fast my ram can run and how to get it to do so and how important that is and (running out of breath now) where to find more ram compatability tables greatly appreciated.

Mr C

*SisSoft incase you missed my previous references. No I'm not being paid to plug it I am just amazed at how useful it is even to one with so little knowlage as myself.

10. maninalift

I am planning on totally replacing the memory chips in my P4B533-E motherboard. According to this table at Crucial my options for 1G chips are as follows

1GB CT12864Z40B
    DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64
    £55.99 ex. VAT

1GB CT12864Z335
    DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64
    £57.99 ex. VAT

1GB CT12864Z265
    DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 £59.99 ex. VAT

What is my best option? I thought I heard on another message board (though I cant find it now) that I could run the above PC3200 at a better CL value on my motherboard as it would be running at a lower rate (266 instead of 400?). And why is that why is the memory cheaper the faster it is? Also this is a fair bit to spend on an oldish motherboard so it would be good to be a little forward looking in buying memory that may be fit for a future motherboard also (though this is less important).

Thanks

11. jflan

jflan

It's a supply-demand thing. The faster memory is typically still in production while the slower is not, and (of course) stocks are steadily running down.

If your machine will digest a faster, lower-priced module, that may be the economical way to go. Bear in mind that your mainboard's specs will decide at what speed that module will run.

I would also look at your mainboard manufacturer's site. There, you should find a Qualified Vendors list and more information on the types of memory your board can utilize.

12. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

man give us a link if it's that cheap. I'll ship it here and still make a fortune.

13. maninalift

jflan : thought that might be the case (faster memory is still in production or in higher rate production therefore cheaper). All is compatible with my MoBo according to the table in the link posted.

[email protected] : click on the "this" in the original post.

anyone know about making the PC3200 chip listed above work at CL2 or 2.5 when running at a lower speed (which is has to cos of my MB)? particularly how I would do it on my system.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice