Ram compatibility with Motherboard - Help please =]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aberrant

I'm looking to build a new PC for gaming and uni and am considering buying the MSI B150M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 motherboard. On the boards official page and everywhere else I've read it reads that it supports DDR4-2133 ram.

I've found DDR4-2400 ram for cheaper than it's 2133 counterpart but haven't read anything that explicitly states if the B150M is compatible with it.

Can anybody point me to a more detailed specifications sheet for this board?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-MORTAR.html#hero-overview

EDIT:

"* DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules will only run at maximum of DDR4 2133 MHz on XMP mode due to Intel® chipset limitation."

Well that partially answers my question. It will work but be limited to 2133 MHz. I don't imagine I would notice any difference in speed between the two, but would limiting 2400 to 2133 cause any "extra" performence drops?

Last edited:

crjdriver

I'm looking to build a new PC for gaming
My first question is why would you go with a mb that uses a business chipset?? If you are building a performance system, go with a board using the z170 chipset; preferably either asus or gigabyte.
To answer your question, yes it probably will work fine as long as the ram you select does not need a higher vdimm or ram voltage. A board with a business chipset is most likely not going to have the options in the bios to custom set voltages. If you post a link to the exact ram you intend to use, we can give you a better idea.

would limiting 2400 to 2133 cause any "extra" performence drops?
You are not using a performance mb so there would not be any drop since you would not get the performance in any case.

Last edited:

aberrant

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the B150M because of price point and the integrated optical out.

Is the only application of a custom voltage settings overclocking or can it be useful for general tweaking for a performance optimization?

EDIT: Am I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to this stuff.

crjdriver

If you are building a gaming system, the integrated video does you no real good. FWIW the onboard video is actually part of the cpu on modern systems SO it is going to be on a performance board as well.
Is the only application of a custom voltage settings overclocking or can it be useful for general tweaking for a performance optimization
Quite often memory will be rated at one speed with stock voltage and a higher speed with a higher voltage.
Remember IF you intend on overclocking, do not go with a "H" series chipset; it does not support overclocking. Here is the intel spec sheet on the h170 chipset;
http://ark.intel.com/products/90595/Intel-GL82H170-PCH

aberrant

I actually meant the integrated optical s/pdif port. I was considering a gaming headset and thought it would be useful.

The Gigabyte board has an s/pdif header however so I imagine I can get a lead that plugs into this header and gives me an optical or coaxial output.

aberrant

New motherboard and new ram compatibility issue. The ram I was considering purchasing is very similar in name to that on the compatibility list for the motherboard. Is it likely it will run or no chance?

Thanks for all the responses, it's been a big help.

Ram I was considering
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-2133C15D-8GVR

Similar Ram on campatibility list
G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2133C15Q-16GRR
G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2133C15Q-32GRR

MOBO - GA-H170M-D3H
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5490#ov

RAM Compatibility List
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-h170m-d3h.pdf

RAM I want to use.
http://www.msy.com.au/waonline/pc-c...r-red-8gb-kit-4gx2-ddr4-2133-desktop-ram.html

crjdriver

When ram does not appear on the list, it does not mean it will not work. It means it was never tested and found to work. Most likely it will be fine however no one can give you a definitive answer. If you stick with corsair or crucial, it just about always works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online