1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iafc, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iafc

iafc Thread Starter

Belar Advisor suggested I write to you.

I have a Sony Vaio VPCCW21X and have bought from Sony two Crucial 4gb CT51264BC1339 to replace the 2gbx2 RAM presently in my computer.
    I need to verify if CT51264BC1339 is compatible with my machine.
    Crucial says it is but when checking their website it is not listed as compatible. They list instead:
    CT2330538
    CT1265009
    CT1265001
    They mentioned something like "external" number... that I don't understand.

Could you please explain? Also what will happen if install these two RAM and they are not compatible with my PC, will it kill it?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I believe you made a typo and it's actually a Sony VAIO VPCCW21FX laptop.

It supports up to 8 GB and uses 204-pin DDR3 PC3-8500(DDR3-1066), CL=7, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Non-ECC modules.

Is that laptop running Windows XP or Vista or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. iafc

iafc Thread Starter

Sorry, I did make a typo and it is a VPCCW21FX and is a 64-bit using Windows 7.
    The case of the 4GBx2 Crucial RAM shows: 4GB DDR-1333 (PC3 10600) SODIMM204PIN CT51264BC1339.
    I hope this all means something to you.... It certainly doesn't mean anything to me.
    Do you think I am safe installing it?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    They're faster speed modules, but they may still work. Some laptops are more finicky than others about modules, so I can't give you a 100% guarantee.

Completely turn off the laptop, then remove the battery, then unscrew and open the module compartment, then remove/install the modules.

After you're done, replace the battery, then turn on the laptop.

You'll know soon enough if the new modules work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Considering that laptop comes with 4 GB of RAM, is there a reason why you want to max it out to 8 GB?

Doubling the amount of RAM isn't going to improve speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. iafc

iafc Thread Starter

Why do I want to max it to 8GB? Good question.
    The thing is that I am planning on editing videos that may run into 1 hr worth of clips or more. I was concerned about speed. Presently I am fine right now (I think) even though at times when accessing certain programs (photoshop CS5 for example) I get a message that I don't have enough memory.
    FYI I have 353GB free in my hard drive.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Without knowing what type/speed processor and what type graphics and what speed hard drive is in that laptop, increasing the amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB may be futile if the other components are a performance bottleneck.

Video editing and Adobe Photoshop CS5 are very system-hungry, so hopefully that laptop is up to the task.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice