1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM configuration question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samour, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samour

Samour Thread Starter

I just bought a 2GB DDR2-667 for my laptop. I originally had two 1GB DDR2-533. My question is this, should I go for the faster 2GB or slower 3GB option?
    Note: FSB speed is 667 MHz.

Benchmarking tools gave me inconclusive results. Any one can suggest a good memory benchmark? Anyways the comparison I got was using Everest.

Attached Files:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

The 3 gb would be faster though most of what you do would not show that and the two different rams most likely won't play well together so I would run the 2 gb.

3. baladio

baladio

It really depends on what programs you are using. Some programs (like audio/video and very large image editing) may be able to use the extra memory. Although I don't know all the types of programs that might use it.

Edit: And maybe the OS you're using, also.

4. Samour

Samour Thread Starter

I'm using XP. I'm going with the 2GB option for now. Faster is generally better if you don't need the extra memory that is. And as long as the 2GB isn't being used excessively the 3GB option isn't really necessary. I mean I don't think I've even reached 50% usage of the RAM.

I occasionally use Photoshop, just basic stuff, so I don't think the extra 1GB is gonna help. Hopefully I'll try out some memory-intensive game and set it to the highest setting and see if the 2GB is enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

5. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

It's doubtful you can use 667mhz and 533mhz ram in the same system at all unless your bios allows you to unlink it under fsb/memory options and both are set to 533. But that's very iffy and doubtful but never hurts to try. Your actually better off using 1 dimm of 2gb than 2 dimm's of 1gb simply because every dimm, or ram stick, uses more power and also causes a higher latency the more you have, but overall not a big difference. If you are into higher end memory intensive gaming then you may want to go for 2x 2gb dimms but check your model at the manufacturer's website and get the memory specs. May only allow 2gb max in the 1st place. Many newer ones allow 4gb, but not the cheapest one's.

6. Samour

Samour Thread Starter

Yeah if both are together it defaults to 533.. the 2GB i got has PC5300 (667) and PC 4300 (533) modes. So it is compatible.

Well XP doesn't see 4GB as far as I know. Vista does. I could get a faster 1 GB but it's not worth it really. I think the 2GB should be more than enough.

7. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

Well, it doesn't default to 533mhz, you can try to set all to 533 since the 533 cant do 667 but odds are you'd end up with a critical error or something. I wouldn't advise trying it really. Best is to keep all of the ram the same frequency and preferably the same brand as well.

8. Samour

Samour Thread Starter

It doesn't default exactly but it's more like the idea you're as weak as your weakest link. So the slowest is 533 and since the 667 one can also run at 533 there is no compatibility issue. As long as the board supports whatever speeds the RAM runs at there won't be any issue.

Actually I don't really think the brand makes much of a difference. I mean my 2GB is Kingston and the 1GB I had was Hyundai. Both together worked fine.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

The newer the system the more wrong you would be except by the rare exception that there are 4 mfgr's of ram and 25 brands and you could possibly put the same ram in that has to different brands by luck

10. Samour

Samour Thread Starter

I get what you're saying. But are you telling me RAM from different manufacturers is not compatible?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

In most cases yes.

12. baladio

baladio

I think it might be more often than that that different brands of RAM are compatible. However, there's just no guarantee that it will work.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice