Ram Configuration

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NilAdmirari

I ran memtest86 and came up with several errors. I wish I could provide that info but I couldn't figure out how to make a dump of the memtest results. Anyone know how?

Anyways, I'm hoping that my problem is in the configuration and not in the chips themselves. Could this even be a possibility? I have a gig of ram installed and purchasing another gig of laptop ddr ram is expensive.

My computer is working fine except for when I attempt to install World of Warcraft, in any way shape or form. I've downloaded the install files, copied from my discs, tried installing normally, tried in safe mode, on different accounts, defragged my harddrive multiple times, and prayed incessantly to the gods. No go. So I'm thinking it's memory.

My computer was built by IBuyPower, a company that I'll never buy another laptop from again, and I question their competancy in building a machine. When I got the system my dvd-r had bad drivers, and within a month of use the power supply socket broke from standard use. Nothing but bad experiences with those poeple. So...I'm thinking perhaps I could get a better ram/bios setup going.

PC Wizard 2006 tells me that I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Socket 754

Physical Memory General Information :
BANK0 (DIMM0) : 512 MB - DIMM
BANK1 (DIMM1) : 512 MB - DIMM

Information SPD EEPROM () :
Manufacturer : Corsair
Part Number : VS512SDS400
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]
Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability : No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
Manufacture : Week 0 of 2000
Supported Frequencies : 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

Information SPD EEPROM () :
Manufacturer : Corsair
Part Number : VS512SDS400
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]
Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Width : 64-bit
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
Manufacture : Week 0 of 2000
Supported Frequencies : 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

Memory Controller Information :
Memory Controller : System Memory
Number of connectors : 2
Max. Module Size : 8388608 KB

------------------------

Is there any alterations I might make to salvage this ram? Any more tests I should run it through? What about the temp of my processor, 75c, could that be causing memory errors? If you need more information just ask. I'd love to get this machine back and working shipshape.

NilAdmirari said:
What about the temp of my processor, 75c, could that be causing memory errors?
thats too hot, AMD's webite states that an Athlon64 has a max temp of 70ºC, which obviously means that your system is overheating, which suprises me that you haven't had more problems. Are your fans working?? are they loaded with dust??

Heat is an electronic component's worst enemy, especially in a laptop, where an overheated CPU can cause other nearby components (including RAM) to overheat as well.

NilAdmirari

PC Wizard lists the rpms of my processor fan as 0 yet I see the thing spinning under my laptop. Is it possible that it's reporting a wrong temperature?

And I swapped RAM chips yesterday and it wouldn't boot up in the alternate configuration. That a sign that one of them is beyond hope?

And if so, which RAM slot is primary? My chips fit over one another in a staggered formation. I pop the first in at an angle, tilt it down, then install the other and tilt it down over the other. Is the bottom one primary?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online