1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Diagnostics????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadow5050, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadow5050

Shadow5050 Thread Starter

My puter has been giving me error messages that I didn't have enough RAM to open some pages on the internet, so I did what any self respecting gameaholic would do, I went and bought more. I installed 768 SDRAM. And low and behold, I now have lots and lots of memory and no longer get those pesky little messages. However, when I check settings to see the performance of my new memory, it says that I only have 62% of the RAM available. This is with no windows open, I'm not on the internet, nothing. How could this be?..Is there a diagnostics program I can run that will tell me what hog is in my RAM? (no pun intended)...my system is a Windows 98 with a Pentium II. I read extensively on my mb to get the correct memory, so I don't think that is the problem...what the heck could it be?

:confused: any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. $teve

$teve

3. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

You might not have a problem at all. Windows uses the RAM for cache when you aren’t using it. It will give it back when it is needed by programs, but speeds things up otherwise. Unused RAM is what is not being used at all. The optimum situation for Win98 computers with 512mb RAM or less is to have no RAM available. It is the fastest thing on your computer other than the processor cache and you want to use it as much as possible.

If you have a program like Norton Utilities it will tell you how much RAM is actually being used by applications. Norton currently says I am actually using 92Mb RAM (I have a bunch of stuff open), but the system monitor says I have only 133 of my 512mb unused. The rest is being used for cache – which is where I want it. I run my computer 24/7 so the cache builds.

You should limit your vcache with over 512Mb RAM in Win98. Many people never do it and don’t have problems but it is recommended by M$. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912 Use the first method of limiting the MaxFileCache which just limits the vcache to 512Mb. The second method is the same as pulling one of your RAM modules out and is absurd.

4. Shadow5050

:cool: I see...I will download the startuplist when I get home tonight..I'm on my work puter right now...and it could be normal allocation for my system...but it seems to run slower that I think it should...hmmmmm...could be time for upgrade...thanks for the help...I will let you know how it turns out.

Shadow:rolleyes:

5. A Hawk

A Hawk

If you have on board video it will use some of your ram.

6. Shadow5050

Well, now my inexpertise is really beginning to show. I tried to download startuplist from my problem child at home and received the message "can't download..file is not the correct type of file (acrobat compatible)..PBM or something like that. Sorry, I made notes but left them at home. One interesting thing that happens when I boot up is an MSDOS file shows up on the status bar. This file is called "matcli" and when I intercept it before it disappears, it say the "client is started"...my puter requires that I enter a password to access my drive..perhaps this is the file that controls that operation, but before I started having memory problems, this didn't happen...I wonder if my BIOS go bugged somehow...thank you all for your assistance.

Shadow;)

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For Compaq PC's. matcli.exe is a motive Assisant Command line interface that gathers information about your system's identity like your name email address, city, state, etc and gets written to a log file while silent.exe executes matcli.exe quietly in the background. Compaq Knowledge Center is required to run with the Help and Support program.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.brunchma.com/archives/Forum7/HTML/001835.html

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice