1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Expansion Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loagden, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loagden

Loagden Thread Starter

First off, in my computer I had (prior to RAM expansion) one stick of 512 MB DDR PC3200 (or so I am told by AIDA32 and PCU-Z). When I got my second stick of 512 MB the guy at Futureshop tried to insert a PC3200 speed stick but the computer rejected it on boot, so he told me that my computer has one stick of PC2700 already in it (not PC3200, even though AIDA32 and CPU-Z say it is PC3200) and so he put in another stick of PC2700. Now, according to CPU-Z and AIDA32 (two programs that display information on all your computer hardware etc.) I have in my two slots my one, original stick of PC3200 and my new stick of PC2700 that the guy at the store claimed matched my old stick.

Now to the problem. I am playing games such as Half-Life 2 (and Counter-Strike: Source), Rome: Total War, and Battlefield 2 on my computer, and they were not performing very well at 512 MB (hence my choice to expand). Since I have had this stick added performance within these games has dropped (I am getting 10-15 FPS in CS:S). Could this decrease be due to the difference in speeds of my RAM (PC3200 - PC2700), and, if so, does anyone know why my computer would have rejected a new stick of PC3200 when the original in there is of that speed?

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

Yes.. it is the different speeds, both sticks are forced to run at the lower speed. Try a different brand of ram... make sure its all compatible.
    can't offer much more help i'm afraid....

:)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Buy your ram from a configurator...www.crucial.com www.kingston.com or www.corsair.com
    and you know they will run right because that is guaranteed. I would doubt the slowness is because of the different speeds, but more likely the two sticks are incompatible as well.

4. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Hi Rich-M, Do all of those 3 ship to Canada where Loagden is ?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Take it back to Futureshop and get a refund is the very thing I'd do. Futureshop techs aren't very knowledgable. Compatibility issues do arise but he just wanted to make a sale and thought you wouldn't know the difference.

I know Crucial does ship to Canada, I wouldn't be suprised if the others did as well.

By the way what video card do you have?

6. amohn

amohn

I will have to agree with Rich-M on the incompatibility, because my friend had the same problem and as soon as he put in matching ram sticks the problem went away

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes all 3 will show you other than US shipping. Crucial is a seller, the other two will send you to resellers.

8. Loagden

Loagden Thread Starter

I have a Radeon 9200 SE, which I know isn't great, but it's been working for me.

Thanks for the help, I'll use those sites!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well your video card is the reason you don't get good frame rates, the card sucks for gaming.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice