1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM fault, possible BIOS setting error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djshadow1985, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djshadow1985

djshadow1985 Thread Starter

i've had numerous issues with my RAM, with system freezes and the occasional BSOD. I've checked the ram's seated properly. I've been running memtest x86 and windows ram diagnostic tool. i get LRAND-ERAND failures on windows diagnostic and errors in test 7 on memtest x86.

so far i've tried:

both RAM inserted (i have 2 x 1GB DDR2 667MHZ)
    one RAM at a time inserted into one slot (2 DIMM slots, i've tried one RAM in one slot, other RAM in other slot)

currently running one RAM inserted into the slot i haven't put it in before to see if i get another string of errors.

i'm getting the errors every time i run the tests, usually during the first pass on memtest and during the first pass on windows diagnostic if i run a custom LRAND-ERAND test. The errors are variances between the expected/actual values of the memory

by my thinking, that means i've either got 2x faulty RAM or 2x faulty DIMM slot (i have an ECS motherboard).i have however read that the fault may be related to my BIOS settings (American Megatrends BIOS). if someone could clarify how i could test that theory, and what i'm looking for, i'd be most grateful.

Systems Spec:

Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ (dual core)
    2GB DDR2 667MHZ RAM (2x1GB)
    ECS motherboard
    American Megatrends BIOS

Running Windows Vista

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not post what brand of ram you are using. Post the exact specs on your ram.

3. Rabies229

Rabies229

from that bit of information. Try pulling one stick of ram out indivisually and testing each with mem test. Ive had cases where one stick was bad and the other was good and you fail mem tests and have random reboots and such. The best advice i can gives is to try that :).

4. djshadow1985

djshadow1985 Thread Starter

exact spec of ram is:

2 x

GDDR2-667, 64mx8 1.8v UI. no official brand label but each chip has USI printed on it.

rabies, sorry i re-read my post and realised it wasn't all that clear. i've tested each RAM separately, and i've now been able to test each RAM separately in each DIMM socket. (total of 6 tests completed). I've been getting errors every time.

so to reiterate, my best guesses are its either 2 faulty ram, 2 faulty DIMM sockets, or my BIOS settings need tweaking

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have no idea if this ram is compatible or not.

I would really go with name brand ram that can actually be checked for compatibility. Go to either kingston, crucial, or corsair's site and input your board. It will show you compatible ram.

Using ram that does not have a brand label is really asking for a problem. With modern systems, you need ram that has been tested and found to work. That is why most board makers have an "Approved or qvl" list.

While I am no fan of ecs, I would suspect the ram first then the board. In any case, you need quality ram. Once that is installed, we can go from there.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice