1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram for 4 year old computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dwaynea515, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwaynea515

dwaynea515 Thread Starter

My Mother In Law has a 4 year old computer with 32 MB Ram and I have told her to get more to speed up her computer. When she called the store that built it there was a new tech there that told her that as long as it was working OK she doesnt need any more. Question is,, If I post a Belarc report here can someone tell me what Ram I need to buy for her. I will not go back to that store for anything else.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it a name brand computer? What is the processor speed too?

3. dwaynea515

Her is all I know about it

Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) Legend Micro, Inc. Legend Generation Series
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    366 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: i440BX-W977TF
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 06/16/99
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    6.49 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    5.30 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI 44X CDROM [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (6.49 GB) -- drive 0 32 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 32 MB
    Slot '1' is Empty
    Slot '2' is Empty
    Slot '3' is Empty

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dwaynea515:

I don't have any confidence in a computer tech person who tells you that 32 MB of RAM is enough for that computer. I'm guessing that it has Windows 98SE or Windows ME in it. It should have at least 128 MB of RAM in it.

If it's a name brand computer, what's the brand name, model name, and model number? If you go here and enter that information, it'll bring up a page with the type of RAM that's needed and the maximum amount that's supported.

If it's store-built out of various parts, you have to go another route. You can either open the case and remove one of the RAM modules and bring it with you to a computer store for comparison, or you can bring the entire case to a computer store and let a computer tech person install it for you.

The only thing that Belarc Advisor is going to do is tell you how much RAM is installed, how many RAM slots there are, and how much RAM is installed in each slot. It will not tell you what type of RAM is needed.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips(Also a Windows XP user)

5. ~Candy~

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dwaynea515:

I see that you've posted the specs on that computer since my last post.

Since that computer has 4 RAM slots and has a 32 MB module in one slot, you should fill the other 3 RAM slots with 32 MB modules. This will give it a total of 128 MB. You will see a definite performance boost with going from 32 MB to 128 MB.

I'm guessing that it uses older 72-pin EDO RAM or 168-pin SDRAM modules.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips(Also a Windows XP user)

7. dwaynea515

This is what I was planning on doing flavalee but being as it was 4 years old I was wondering what sticks I would have to order that is the reason for my post. I guess I will just have to take it out and then order the ones I need I was just hoping that someone could tell me which ones to get so I would maybe save a step or two and a little time. Thanks for the info

8. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Howdy,

Buy a couple of these from :

http://www.crucial.com/

64MB $22.99 (USD) CT8M64S4D8E SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 8ns • 3.3V • 8Meg x

It'll give you 196MB ----Enjoy!!

SM

9. ~Candy~

But, what is the max ram per slot????? If it's 32, 64's won't work.

10. dwaynea515

Mr. Spaceman Your help is greatly appreciated thank you very much, oops Acacandy I see we posted at the same time, I wonder, maybe I can get 32s here also thanks

11. ~Candy~

Unless someone found a manual that I couldn't find ;) which is possible, 32's would be the safest investment.

As a matter of fact, depending on your urgency, I 'think' I have some 32's laying around in Mexico that will never be used. I'd happily mail them to you for postage if I do....however, I won't be returning until 11/1, then will have to wait for a friend to leave for the states to pop them in the mail for me.....

12. dwaynea515

This would be great Acacandy, send me an email or PM and I will send you my address

13. ~Candy~

You've got mail............like I said, I'm not completely sure what I have there, but I know I have a crapload of stuff laying around ;)

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you send a new laptop back with that friend, I'll be glad to provide a shipping address. :D:D

15. ~Candy~

Lol, will a 486 Packard Bell Statesman work for you :D Seriously, I tried putting it back together, but I still had a couple of leftover pieces :eek: Hasn't started up since :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice