1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Ram frequency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keviiin, Feb 15, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Hi,

Im wondering if i should sell my kingston hyperfury x 8gb ddr4 2666mhz and switch to either 8gb 3000mhz or 3200mhz. Will it make a huge difference in gaming?

I've watched a lot of youtube vids and they are a bit contradicting with each other. Some say increasing the mhz will also incerease the fps in games but others conclude it doesnt. So i thought its best if i were to ask here since you guys helped before in making up my mind.

Here are the specs of my pc.
    CPU - ryzen 5 2600
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-B450-M
    GPU - RX 570 4gb

Thanks again.

2. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

I forgot to mention my real intention was to buy another 8gb of ram. But before i do, would it be wise to buy another 8gb of 2666mhz or just sell my current stick and buy 2 ram sticks of 8gb with both frequencies at 3000mhz or 3200mhz.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would rather have 16gig of 2666 than 8gig of 3200 ram.
    Next are you sure the ram is even running @2666? Very often ryzen systems will default to 2133; have you checked your actual ram speed?

4. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

I was actually planning on buying 2 sticks of 8gb 3200mhz. My question was is it worth the hassle of trying to sell the current stick I have and produce more funds to acquire the 2 sticks of 3200mhz since i had no idea of frequencies at the time i bought it. And does it make a huge difference in gaming. The difference as well in price between the 2666mhz and 3200mhz is 20 USD per stick converted in my country's currency.

So basically its gonna be choosing between 2 sticks of 8gb ram 2666mhz and 2 sticks of 8gb of ram 3200mhz. Im unsure if I can make the most out of my cpu if i have a higher frequency in ram.

After researching, people say i would only use half of the frequency of my ram. Is that true? Im using HWinfo. And here is a photo of it..

5. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Photo..

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You have DDR4 ram; the ddr stands for double data rate SO 2666 ram runs at approx 1333 or so.
    Only you can answer that question IF you want to attempt to sell used ram. If you are asking IF you are going to see much difference between 2666 and 3200, you will see a difference on a benchmark.
    You do understand that the fastest memory you can use is 2933 unless you overclock/set speed manually in the bios. Here is a link to the specs for your cpu; as you can see under memory, the fastest is 2933.
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600

That does not preclude you from using faster ram; you just have to set speed, voltage, and timings manually in the bios.

7. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Once again thank you.

I wasn't aware about the memory specification part in a CPU. I thought i just needed to take into account the mobo capacity to run at what frequency.

But im not sure why other people. Use 3200mhz on a ryzen 5 2600 and b450m Mobo same as me

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can use whatever memory your board will support however you may have to set speed manually in the bios OR use XMP which [IMO] does not work all that well for amds. It is really no big deal to set ram speed manually. I use an asrock X470 board and a ryzen 2700X running corsair 3000mzh ram @3150 due to a blck overclock.

9. Blu_86

Blu_86

With Ryzen gaming performance can actually be a fairly substantial gain but you need to have a balanced system to make it worthwhile. Intel has the advantage with IPC whereas with AMD it's more about the memory performance all-be-it many times taking the time to tweak it to make it stable at the higher frequencies. I would say with an R5 2600 that 16GB of DDR4 3000 with tight timings would be optimal with Samsung B-Die and if you're lucky mobo depending you may get XMP speed dialed in with rated timings and if not you can manually set @ 2933 mhz with rated timings.

10. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

My mobo can handle up to 3200mhz. So should i just learn to oc my 2666mhz ram to 2933?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is up to you. There is NEVER any guarantee that any part will run over rated speed. If you decide to OC ram, be sure and test it for stability with memtest for at least 1hr.

12. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Whats confusing for me is, why does it say in amds website that the r5 2600 support only up to 2933mhz although my mobo can support up to 3200mhz. Would it mean if i use 3200mhz of ram it would only read 2933mhz?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is very simple; ALL modern processors have the memory controller as part of the cpu. That is the max feq that can be natively supported ie 2933. The motherboard may or may not support running ram at a higher speed by use of a divider or multiplier. That is why you see in the mb specs 3000 OC, 3600OC, etc; you are overclocking the ram.

14. keviiin

keviiin Thread Starter

Thank you. I will go with the 2666mhz for now so ill buy another stick.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice