RAM heatsinks needed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StumpedTechy

I am noticing more and more about RAM heatsincs over the last 2 years? First off I usually work with prebuilt systems that do not have them at all. So my first question is are they REALLY needed? Second off do they impact how you put in any other memory? I.E. if you have 2 ram rows next to each other does the heatsync stand out enough you can't put them one next to the other?

I just got 2 DDR400 PC3200 and was wondering if this is a must have/should have/can live without situation and what your thoughts are?

If you plan on using this pc for gaming or other highly graphical applications then heatsinks would be reccomended, but if its just going to be used for regular programs/documents then it wouldnt be necessary at all. As for the clearance w/heatsinks usually it can be done but it all depends on how the board has the mem. slots placed and the size of the hs.

crjdriver

Unless you are into hardcore overclocking of the ram, no there is no need for ramsinks. They are more of a gimmick IMO than a useful addition to your system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online