1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Help Needed (How Many Pins is Right?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by floydiannyc, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. floydiannyc

floydiannyc Thread Starter

I'm going to be adding some RAM to my Dad's Compaq Presario 2500 notebook PC.

I've researched the PC and know the required memory type is PC2100 DDR-266 SDRAM.

The problem is that nowhere in the Compaq Manuals (I've looked at them online at their site) does it tell me the amount of pins.

I've seen DDR-266 with many different pin configurations. How can I tell (without opening the notebook itself and looking at the installed memory card, since my Dad is 45 minutes away by car) what the correct pin amount is?

Thanks for any help.

2. Telstar

Telstar

3. arknorth

arknorth

And I use the PNY Memory Configurator http://www2.pny.com/configurator/index.aspx?manufacturer= - not only will it tell you which chip. but it will also give you the specs to your Presario, including how much memory it can take. For example, if it is a 2500 CTO, you can get up to 1GB of RAM in that puppy.

Remember though, the Compaq model number on the face of the machine (the one below the screen and the keyboard) is only a chassie number - the ACTUAL model number is on the bottom on the manufacturer's plate (there are actually 83 different 2500 models - gotta be specific). It should read COMPAQ PRESARIO 25XX and possibly a pair of letters.

Good luck!

A-N

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice