ram-help pII 350

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcmenon

:)
hi
i got pII systems with pcchips mobo
i can install 3 sticks of 512 mb SDRAM PC133 BUT...
i can install one stick only coz other slots wont work at all
is there any way i can check the slots and determine if it works
can i repair the 2 slots to put more RAM THERE
suggest please
pcmeno​

Rukee

Banned
will all three sticks work in just the 1 slot one at a time?? Or does just 1 stick work in just 1 slot?

with sdram some older motherboards are picky they can only use 1 dual sided dimm or 2 single sidded my board in my other pc has 4 slots i had to look around for single sidded dimms to get all 4 to work. check your ram chips if they have memory on both sides their a double sided dimm if only 1 side its a single sided dimm.

pcmenon

yes all sticks work in one slot only but other 2 slots it wont work
i got 128 replaced with 256 in one working slot

pcmenon

i had one stick on with 128 mb (one sided), i bought 256 mb ( dual sided stick ) to replace 128 in one slot. Then i put 128 on the other slot it wont work . i flipped back 128 back on ,it worked , in short one slot works only it is my finding
trying to figureout what is wrong
thx

bearone2

Banned
it's an old computer and the mem slots aren't all working or you mb doesn't support the memeory you're trying to add.

you probably need pc133 sticks and other sticks won't necessarily work.

if the mb has a web site check documentation for your board.

dustyjay

Jay
Some times on older systems, the smaller capacity ram has to be installed in the first slot and the higher inthe second slot and so on. Have yu tried it this way yet?

I would reckon that your motherboard just caps out at 512MB.

Any more than that, and it's just not reckognized.

dustyjay

Jay
YEs but he has nto succesfully installed 512Mb, infact he has nto even successfullyinstalled 384Mb ram yet. At least that is the way I read his posts. Like I suggested, try the 128 in the first slot and the 256 in the second slot. It is an odd combination to have 3 ram slots and a limit of 512Mb on the board. Not unheard of, but odd! 2 sticks 128 and one stick 256. or just plain 2 sticks 256 and leave one slot empty.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts