1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM in use constantly increases over time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fireballassasin, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fireballassasin

fireballassasin Thread Starter

This might be a bit difficult to explain correctly, but im gonna try it.

FIRST: Ive searched google and haven't really found any useful information so that's why i'm here. Maybe i'm using the wrong search terms, but its too late for that now.

ISSUE: So my computer has 32 Gb of RAM and whenever i start it up it opens using about 4.8 - 5.4 Gb of the available RAM. Whenever I leave the computer running, over time the amount in use slowly increases. FOR EXAMPLE: Today I left my computer on in the morning. I had just started it so it was using about 5Gb. I came home, about 9 hours later, and it was using 23.5 Gb. I wasn't running any games. The only open programs would have been Firefox, Steam, Skype, and Spotify. None of those should be using almost 24Gb, even together.

OTHER INFO: Looking under the processes tab in Task Manager doesn't lead me to any meaningful conclusions, nothing is there that is using this amount of RAM, and all the programs combined aren't even using close to that.

THINGS MY FRIENDS HAVE TOLD ME: None of them are particularly tech savy, but one said it was a virus (although my scans turn up nothing) and the other said i should wipe both my hard drives clean and do a fresh install of windows (i haven't done this and really dont want too (n)).

I hope somebody knows what might be wrong, since i surely don't. If you need any more information from me to help you help me solve this issue, feel free to ask and i will try my best to provide.

SPECS:
    i7-3770k @ 3.5 Ghz
    32 Gb Corsair Vengeance
    256 Gb Samsung SSD (Primary Drive)
    3TB WD Green (Secondary drive)
    Nvidia GTX 770 4Gb
    Windows 7
    Anti-Virus is Trend Micro/Malwarebytes (have and use both)
    I probably forgot something :eek:

Thanks!

2. TheFireRodan

TheFireRodan

Open up your task manager and try seeing what is using the large amount of ram.
    If it isn't important things, try terminating ram-heavy programs.

3. fireballassasin

Like I said up there in my text wall, Task Manager is never any help. None of the programs are using anywhere near the amount that is said to be in use and the programs running as a collective body aren't using anywhere near that much either. If there is a program using that much ram, its hiding itself somewhere where i cant see it.

4. donetao

donetao Banned

I know that Skype is a big memory hog. Firefox also. Don't know about Steam and spotfiy. Try signing out of Skype. Just a shot in the dark. May I ask how you know your PC is using 24GB of RAM?? I do know that when programs are left running, they start using more RAM, but should release it when they are stopped. You say the usage builds up over time, so that makes sense to me!!

Attached Files:

5. TheFireRodan

TheFireRodan

Could be a monitoring error

6. fireballassasin

Im looking under the performance tab in Task Manager where it gives CPU usage and Memory usage (I know it isn't lying because when the Memory usage is really high programs get bogged down and games and such run poorly). I do notice this buildup you are talking about, but it isn't consistent with how much the RAM usage increases in a given time period.

Like right now my computer was restarted about an 2ish hours ago. When i started it, it was using ~4.8Gb and now it is using ~6.8. I haven't opened any programs except Teamspeak 3. No prgorams are increasing in usage except firefox (as i open more tabs) but it started off around 290Mb and its about 480Mb right now (with 5 tabs open vs the 1 it started with)

7. donetao

donetao Banned

8. fireballassasin

looks like firefox may have been causing the issue. I closed Firefox, Steam, Skype, Spotify, and origin. Usage dropped from about 7 Gb to about 6Gb but didnt really go up or down while nothing was open. I restarted my computer and closed all those programs and switched over to Chrome. Will need about an hour to really see if this has had any affect, but i will let you know. Using about 4 Gb as i post this (after restarting computer and w/ google chrome open). Will report back in a bit with updates as to usage.

9. TheFireRodan

TheFireRodan

Try firefox nightly 64 bit if firefox is indeed your issue. It performs like a boss.

10. fireballassasin

So after about 50 minutes of up time it looks like one of those programs (probably firefox) was causing this issue. My ram usage has gone up about 1 Gb over the last hour but im also streaming videos in chrome, and i have more tabs open, so i think it is understandable. Ill see if letting it run for an even longer time period shows memory leakage anywhere else, but this seems to have mostly solved the immediate issue. I dont know why firefox was leaking, but its not an issue anymore. Thanks to you guys who helped me out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice