RAM Install gone bad... :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slosvt

Hi all, im a newbie to the forum. Found it in a google search trying to look for an answer to my problem.

Last night I attempted to install this stick of RAM (circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=70463&WT.mc_n=8360&WT.mc_t=U) into my desktop. The desktop is a HP from Bestbuy with the following specs (I am pretty sure they are accurate): 2.4G Amd Athlon, 512mb ram, 160g HD. I will post more detailed info when I get home from work.

After initial bootup from the install I could not click on any of the icons, including the start menu. I figured that something was wrong or I had the wrong RAM in it, so I removed it and rebooted the CPU with the original RAM in the original slot. Everything booted up okay and I can now click on the icons and start menu. The new problem is that the cpu will not load any programs (IE, Mozilla, Quicken, Disk Defrag), but it will let me open folders I have the on the desktop. When I attempt to open a program I get an hour glass for about 3 seconds and then it goes away and the cpu stops trying.

Any questions on where I should start? The only other thing I did was uninstall Norton and during the reboot is when I installed the RAM.

you said, "The only other thing I did was uninstall Norton and during the reboot is when I installed the RAM."

Norton WHAT? The entire security package, or one component?

How did you do the uninstall? REMOVE Programs routine, or MANUALLY?

Does the new RAM Chip match the Specs of the OLD one?

Did you try using ONLY the new stick?

From your described symptoms this sounds more like a Windows problem than a Hardware issue. Perhaps you should try a Repair or Restore Point prior to the changes.

slosvt

I just did the uninstall for the Anti Virus...It came on the cpu and was expired, so I figured I didnt need it around, since I am going to use an alternate means of virus protection. I did the uninstall under the Add/Remove programs and followed the steps...

The only thing I am not sure about the new Ram vs. the old Ram is if they are both DIMM. But the specs for them being 512 DDR is the same...

No, I have not tried only using the new chip.

I agree, that I probably have a problem elsewhere now that I think about it...

Whats the best way to do a system restore? I tried using F8 on a reboot already and I got the same result. I also started in Safe Mode and all programs opened fine. When I let the machine boot itself a 'Symantec/???/???/???.dll missing' error showed up. Ill write the exact file down when I get home from work.

The msg about the Symantec DLL file implies to me that the removal did NOT go to EOJ and there are still startup references in the Registry or startup folder.

Go thru START/Programs/Accessories/Tools/System Restore

to fall back to a safe point.

slosvt said:
Any questions on where I should start? The only other thing I did was uninstall Norton and during the reboot is when I installed the RAM.
A classic example of why we should do ONE THING AT A TIME. I've learned the hard way.

slosvt

Okay guys. Im getting the same result with either piece or RAM installed alone or both pieces installed together. I cannot do the system restore, because when I attempt to do so I get the 3 second hour glass and then nothing. Im lost at what it could be. Any suggestions?

Thanks

slosvt..you originally said, "so I removed it and rebooted the CPU with the original RAM in the original slot. Everything booted up okay and I can now click on the icons and start menu."

Now you are saying, "I'm getting the same result with either piece or RAM installed alone or both pieces installed together."

What did you do differently that now it does not work?

It sounds to me like you are not getting the memory chip(s) seated correctly, otherwise the 'original' configuration would still work.

slosvt

Sorry for the confusion everyone. I was able to restore Windows via using F10 at the reboot screen. I am now up and running, but afraid to install the new RAM. I would hate for it to mess up the cpu.

The newly purchased RAM is a 184 pin 512mb DDR DIMM chip (PC2700). The RAM that came in the cpu is a 512mb DDR DDIM (PC3200). Are these compatible?

slosvt

To be honest, I didnt know the difference when I purchased the RAM. I just saw a 512mb DDR DIMM on sale for stupid cheap, so I picked it up. Now I realize that I cant do that with this computer. I am going to return the RAM I purchased and replace it with what is already in it.

I have another CPU that needs some RAM. It is currently running XP and SP2 w/only 128mb in it. How much is needed to run XP w/o lag? I know that the machine will hold up to 512mb of SDRAM.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.