1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM installation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jumpin_joe, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumpin_joe

jumpin_joe Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi.

I have an Athlon 3500+ 2.20Ghz ( MSI K9MM-V VVIA K8M800 / VIA VT8237R Plus Motherboad) with 1.00GB ram that i want to upgrade to 2.00GB ram so i bought another stick of the same specs from the same manufacturer.

Things i tried:

There are 2 slots, 1 occupied by the old stick (maybe 2-3 years old?). I put the new stick in the other slot, rebooted, and the screen was blank. It does not get to the bios screen. So I reseated it a couple times, still blank. I took it out and rebooted, the computer dos screen said "previous performance overclocked is failed, rebooting bios to previous setting". It did and everything works fine again.

The next thing I tried was removing the old stick and putting the new one in the same slot by itself. Same blank screen problem, reseated etc. I put the old stick back in that slot by itself and then everything worked fine again.

After that I tried the old stick by itself (the one i know works) in the other slot. I get the blank screen upon bootup again.

Things to note:

The new memory stick appears physically blank on one side. The old stick has those op-amps and circuts on both sides. The op-amps on the new chip are bigger than the old one, so perhaps is possible the redesigned the chip but with the same specs? (DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz).

The motherboard manual says "At least one of the DIM slots must be filled. Memory Modules can be installed on the slots in any order. You can install either single- or double sided modules to meet your needs."

Problem: is my new stick of Ram defective, and my 2nd (unused for all this time) DIM slot broken or needs a setting change somewhere to operate?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the ram slot has been unoccupied for quite some time, it may be clogged with dust. You could get a can of compressed air and try blowing the dust out of it then giving it a try again.

3. jumpin_joe

i just cleaned it with compressed air. Still have the problem.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Make sure both Ram sticks are fully into their sockets, it can take a lot of force. You should get a click when the side catches snap in.

With both Ram sticks installed try going into the Bios and set to default settings, save your changes and reboot.

Does it work now ?

5. jumpin_joe

when I cleaned that second slot it took a lot less force to get that second RAM slot it to click in all the way. However I still can't get to the bios when I reboot.

what else should I do? On another note I also pulled the CMOS battery as my latest attempt but it did not reset the date (looking in windows task bar) back to the creation date.

6. jumpin_joe

Since the RAM i bought doesn't work in either slot, i guess i`ll have to return it. I bought it online so i`m going to try and get a refund instead of exchange since the working RAM stick doesn't even work in the other slot.

I`ll ship it out on Wednesday but disappointed I can't upgrade to 2.0GB. Are there any other suggestions?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice