1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM issue on Windows XP (Samsung laptop)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackstraxx, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackstraxx

jackstraxx Thread Starter

Hi!

I recently acquired a new Samsung Q320 laptop and promptly fitted a new HD with a clean XP install (still don't like Vista very much).
    With 4GB RAM installed, I am a bit surprised by the small amount specified under "Available Physical Memory":

[​IMG]

Is this normal?

I also have a Dell M1330 with 4GB installed, and it shows a fair bit more available RAM:

[​IMG]

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

How much memory does the Graphics adapter have?
    For example, if you have two identical systems, but one has a card with 512 MB Video RAM on board while the other has 1 GB Video RAM on board, the 2nd will show .5 GB less available RAM.

If the system is using an integrated controller, there is usually a BIOS setting to specify how much RAM the Video card is allowed to use, and whether that RAM is Shared or Dedicated.

Usually, Shared will show as available, Dedicated will not.

3. jackstraxx

Ah! That would explain it!
    The Dell has a 128 MB card, but the Samsung has 256 MB.

If I were to change the RAM usage of the Samsung card, would that affect graphics performance? I don't really play games on it. Have a PS3 for that :)

Thanks!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jack:

You also have to take into account that the 32-bit version of XP and Vista don't utilitize the full 4 GB of RAM. Depending on the computer setup, about 3.25 GB on the average is used.

And both of those computers have different hardware and software requirements, which would account for the difference in the amount of available RAM.

5. jackstraxx

Yeah, I thought that might be the problem. But 2.37 GB available memory still seems pretty low when I have 4 GB installed...
    Also, from the research I've done about the graphics cards, the memory is dedicated, so should not affect the amount I see as "available". So I still don't understand why one machine is showing more available memory than the other...

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's showing 2.37 GB of available memory, but your computer is recognizing and utilizing only 3.00 GB or slightly more than that, then 2.37 GB isn't low at all.

When you right-click MY COMPUTER and click Properties, what's listed for the RAM amount?

------------------------------------------------------------------

7. jackstraxx

It's showing 2.96 GB

[​IMG]

I know it's not HUGE deal, just interested to find out why it does this :)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Since the System Properties window is showing 2.96 GB of RAM, it appears that computer is utilizing about 3.2 GB of RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. jackstraxx

Aha, so it seems to be a bit of an inexact science :)

Thanks for the help!

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome - from both of us. :)

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Just to add, though the memory on a graphics card is dedicated, the addresses used to access it by the system still come out of the pool of available memory addresses, so that will reduce the amount of Available Memory.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice