1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram issues and buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kibblelee, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kibblelee

kibblelee Thread Starter

Hi I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I purchased a custom built PC for my wife last year from a company I had used before, without any issues. However this latest PC has two issues I cant determine and unfortunately the company has gone into administration!
    It is a desktop PC with AMD FX8320 eight core processor, Biostar A960D+ MB, 8GB DDR3 Ram and ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics.
    The first issue is that if I run it with more than one stick of ram, it crashes into the blue screen. I did a memtest and found one stick of ram to be faulty, so returned to the manufacturers, who replaced both ram. I installed both ram and the same thing happened again, blue screen. I have taken one stick out, leaving just 4GB and it runs ok.
    The next issue is that it buzzes through the speakers most the time paired with a subtle interference type line across the screen at the same time.
    I have read forums that keep suggesting new ram, but these have been replaced. I have also read forums saying that there could be an earth loop regarding buzzing, but no suggestion on how this would be tested and fixed.
    Any help regarding these issues would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

3. kibblelee

kibblelee Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have had the ram completely replaced by the manufacturers. I checked them on arrival with ramtest, both sticks were fine. it is when both sticks are placed in the board it goes to blue screen. when one stick is on its own it runs fine, however this is very frustrating as it is running only at half its potential, could really do with the other 4 gig of ram.

If it is the motherboard slots, is it simple to replace the MB or will it require reinstalling windows 7 and everything else again?

Thanks again.

Lee

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is the exact same mb or at the very least the same chipset, you usually do not have to install windows. You will most likely have to reactivate windows. If you read the guide at the top of the hw forum, you will find detailed procedures for just this task.

Next check and post the following info; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This should be available in the bios.

In addition, post the exact pw supply you have installed. Note do not post "500W" post the exact make and model ie corsair xxx123 or whatever.

FWIW I am not a fan of biostar mb. They are ok for a very basic build however an asus or gigabyte mb would be a much better choice. Preferably one with the 990x or 990fx chipset. The 760g chipset is now quite dated [released in mid 09] 6 years is multiple lifetimes in the tech world.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    For testing the motherboard slots, the simplest check is probably as follows:

1) Put 1 stick of RAM in slot one
    2) Fire up the machine to see if it boots and runs OK.
    3) Shutdown completely and swap the same stick into slot two
    4) Repeat from step one

Do this for all the RAM slots using the same stick of RAM. For an added test, if needed, you can run memtest86 each time you boot up to properly check the RAM in each slot.

If the machine doesn't boot with the RAM in slot two for example, repeat the test in slot 1 and 2 with the other stick of RAM.

If the it fails with both sticks in 1 particular slot but works in all the others then your problem is that slot on the motherboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!