Ram Issues

blakeesavage13

I have an iBuyPower desktop, i went and got new ram, installed it and now my computer won’t work, i tried rearranging the ram, and even putting back in the original ram and nothing will work

1) You could have touched the ram chips. Static electricity can kill the chips. Always hold the edge of the stick only.

2) You could have knocked loose some power plugs on the motherboard. Press each connector so that it is seated firmly.

crjdriver

As outlined above, there are really only two possibilities;
1 You knocked something loose while inside the case OR ram not seated
2 You broke something

Go back and recheck your work. If you are absolutely sure the ram is fully seated in the slot or slots, and you have reseated both atx and aux pw connectors, that only leaves the second option. You broke something while in the case. Modern boards have pw applied ALL of the time; even when OFF. Unless you followed the procedure below, it is possible to cause ESD.

How to properly install new ram;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Hit the ON button 2~3 times. This will remove any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors
3 Remove the side cover and pull out the ram. Install new ram and be sure it is fully seated in the slot
4 Replace the side cover and the pw cord. Pw ON and make sure all ram is detected, system is stable, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online