RAM Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DesicoN

Hello,

I currently have a stick of 512MB and am about to upgrade, but I just noticed that on my system properties it say's I only have 433MB's... I'm so confused. Can anyone explain why this is happening or how I can fix it?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Do you have onboard/integrated video? If so it may be using 64MB's of RAM and some may be 'reserved'. If you do have onboard video you can lower the amount of memory allocated to the video card in the BIOS to a lower amount or buy a seperate video card with its own memory.

DesicoN

I have on-board video, but I don't use it. I bought a Video Card and on-board is disabled. It's STILL saying it only has 433 though.

Is the computer having any troubles? Even if the 64 was allocated for the video (which you say it' not) that still leaves 13 more missing anyway...run memtest86 on it, see if the stick is going bad.

DesicoN, you can't choose to use your onboard video, it's always being used, that's most likely the reason for your shortage of RAM.

Also on a lot of big computer dealers like Dell or HP, don't give you exactly 512mb, they sometimes give as low as 400mb and then round up, they figure most people wont notice the difference . . .

PHP:
Also on a lot of big computer dealers like Dell or HP, don't give you exactly 512mb, they sometimes give as low as 400mb and then round up, they figure most people wont notice the difference . .
C'mon, get real. They would have the largest class-action lawsuit slapped on them so fast. A class action attorney would just love to get ahold of something like that.

you might have some modules on the ram bad to i got a sdram chip thats 256 only 186 reads as good. Or just your onboard is taking up alot of memory in bios you should be able to tell how much it can use. The old pc i built for a friend 2.8ghz had the option to set how much ram onboard could use.

SacsTC, no it's true, my father bought a Dell for his office, I was settin it up for him and I notice only about 436mb RAM, so I took it out, brought it hope and popped it in my bro's comp and sure enough, only 436 showed up. Note my brother has no onboard video, my father didn't either.

Its a bad chip. Memory doesn't come made with only 436+- Mg. The chips are made in 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc.

Go into your BIOS and make sure you have no RAM put aside for onboard video. Also ensure that onboard video is completely disabled.

ya sacs is correct it would be a bad chip dell put in one of their bad chips probly to cut a corner maybe.

DesicoN

Well I ran the serial number on my stick of RAM and it's a 512 stick. My sister sometimes uses the Belkin power switch to turn off the computer instead of a proper shutdown, may that be causing a problem? I just installed another gig of RAM and it now reads at 1.53GB's of RAM. Kindah wierd eh?

SirKenin

Banned
Smety said:
SacsTC, no it's true, my father bought a Dell for his office, I was settin it up for him and I notice only about 436mb RAM, so I took it out, brought it hope and popped it in my bro's comp and sure enough, only 436 showed up. Note my brother has no onboard video, my father didn't either.
Give your head a shake. Take two of these 0 0 and call me in the morning.

Dell does NOT lie about the amount of RAM they have in their computers. There is no such thing as 400 MB of RAM in ANY configuration. You're smoking pot if you expect us to believe that crap.

When Dell tells you there is 512 MB of RAM in it, there is 512 MB of RAM. I have a Dell sitting right here, and I have owned more than one of them over the years. Make that several. I still sell them as a matter of fact (used ones... I use them for Smoothwall firewalls). No major manufacturer can afford being caught on a bluff like that.

If the system tells you it has less RAM it's because the onboard video has reserved a chunk. Not because the manufacturer jipped you for RAM.

Hahaha. That's the most absurd thing I have EVER heard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts