RAM leakage?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GSGEpiphany

Hi,

For a while now I've been noticing my RAM usage being unreasonably high. I've tried to research solutions and have currently tried to update network drivers(which helped to some degree), I disabled the Ndu, which temprarily helped to a small degree. My ram usage is still at an unreasonable height especially since I am only using firefox and one or two smaller programs. I have 8 gigabytes of RAM and according to Task Manager I am only using about 1.6 gigabytes. I would appreciate any help as the problem really slows down my computer when I try to run heavier things such as games or other programs. I have included screenshots I think may be helpful.

Attachments

Couriant

James
To confirm, if you search for about this pc in the search box and select it, check what the Installed RAM and usable is listed.

GSGEpiphany

To confirm, if you search for about this pc in the search box and select it, check what the Installed RAM and usable is listed.
Ah, sorry for not including that at firest. It displays that 8 gigabytes are correctly installed and that I have 7.84 gigabytes usable.

plodr

Liz
https://www.enigmasoftware.com/firefox-uses-too-much-memory/

Look at your addons; one of them might be going through the RAM.
As a test, launch Firefox in safe mode (not Windows safe mode) which disables all the addons/extensions. If the memory usage is a lot smaller, you'll know it is probably one of the addons. You can start enabling them two at a time, using the browser and keeping an eye on memory usage.

GSGEpiphany

https://www.enigmasoftware.com/firefox-uses-too-much-memory/

Look at your addons; one of them might be going through the RAM.
As a test, launch Firefox in safe mode (not Windows safe mode) which disables all the addons/extensions. If the memory usage is a lot smaller, you'll know it is probably one of the addons. You can start enabling them two at a time, using the browser and keeping an eye on memory usage.
I tried doing that, but it did not make any difference, the thing is, even when firefox is not running, I'm still at 80% Ram usage. This although it only shows that I'm using 500 megabytes.

Attachments

GSGEpiphany

Your Non-paged pool was at 2.9 GB in the RamMap screenshot. That is abnormally high, should be < 500 MB.
Probably means one of your drivers has a memory leak.

To fix, update ALL drivers.

-OR-

Try to determine the problem driver with the method described here:

https://medium.com/@clintcolding/finding-memory-leaks-with-poolmon-3da80e479040
I tried this and realised that the biggest leak came from the Razer Cortex app, which was leaking 2 whole gigabytes of RAM. I have also tried updating all my drivers, but there is one I have not been able to find. The largest leak I currently have(accordning to poolmon), is ismc which is nonpaged. I tried finding what it is and have found it has something to do with an intel driver of some sort. I have used the intel driver update tool, yet can't find how to update that driver. However my ram usage has already went down to a much more reasonable level.

ismc pool tag is used by these drivers (at least on my system):

iaStorA.sys
iaStorAVC.sys

To find on your system, open Command Prompt or Powershell:

cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers
findstr /m /s /l ismc *.sys

Both are part of Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). You may not need them if you aren't running RAID or Optane, and could use Microsoft's SATA/AHCI drivers instead. Changing can cause problems though, so I would recommend updating first. Would need full details on the system (make/model of motherboard + drives) to advise. Better to get them from motherboard manufacturer rather than Intel.

More info about IRST in this thread:
https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v.html

GSGEpiphany

ismc pool tag is used by these drivers (at least on my system):

iaStorA.sys
iaStorAVC.sys

To find on your system, open Command Prompt or Powershell:

cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers
findstr /m /s /l ismc *.sys

Both are part of Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). You may not need them if you aren't running RAID or Optane, and could use Microsoft's SATA/AHCI drivers instead. Changing can cause problems though, so I would recommend updating first. Would need full details on the system (make/model of motherboard + drives) to advise. Better to get them from motherboard manufacturer rather than Intel.

More info about IRST in this thread:
https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v.html
I have figured out that my motherboard is a HP 85FE. I have 2 drives: HGST HTS721010A9E630 and SAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-00H1.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online