1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram limits

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Triple6, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rob
    Does anyone here know the Ram limits for 95, NT(all), 98, ME, 2000(all), and XP? Thanks.

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Win98 can address upto 2 GB of RAM. For Win 2000 Pro i believe the max is 3 GB. (not sure about that 2nd part). However, keep in mind that this is all respective of what your MB can hold.

Furthermore, any Win9.x OS has some limitations on how much RAM it can effectively manage. Meaning that while 128 MB is the sweet spot for most Win9.x setups, installing antoher 128 MB stick of RAM does NOT equate to twice the performance!

For any NT based OS, the more memory the better. W2K and XP will thrive on more RAM. The way it utilizes RAM is quite different and thus accounts for a much higher performance under NT.

3. The_Egg

The_Egg

I was always led to believe that Win9x won't recognize any more than 512mb ram . . . maybe Win98 will see it, but whether it uses it or not is a different matter. And as you say, Win9x definitely has limitations on how much it can effectively manage (128/256?) . . . and again, it all depends on your motherboard's capabilities too.

Win2k/XP is definitely the way to go

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I run 512 on Win 98 SE and have been led to believe this is the kimit without a registry hack.

5. peetal

peetal

yeh i think windows 98 se cant add more then 512 mb

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only limitation on W98 is that you need to adjust the VCACHE setting in SYSTEM.INI to use more than 512mb of RAM. Of course, you'll be far better off using a more stable O/S if you're doing something that requires more than 512mb. :)

7. shaggy351

shaggy351

Microsoft's info states that Win98SE can handle up to 8GB SDRam, but then...what board out there can handle that much. I've run 1024MB(1GB) of PC133, Win98SE on an A7V with a 1GB Athlon and it ran circles around the PIII's. OH, and I didn't have to do any .ini editing to do it either ! I just set the Virtual Memory to 50% more (1536MB _ low/high) and it screamed!
    WindowsME however, does have a 512MB limitation built into it, but of course, who'd be nuts to run ME nowadays !
    I've also run 2GB DDR on Win2KPro and it smoked !

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice