1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM..Low ???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jon2891, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jon2891

jon2891 Thread Starter

Hi,I am on `XP` with 256mb...Volume = 63.67 GB....with 11,26 used,52.41 free (82%).so cannot understand that when working on Photoshop 7, it occasionally freezes up with the message that I do not have sufficient RAM.Pleeeeeease could some one explain..Sincerely..jon.

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

Is the amount of RAM you have, 256 is about enough to adequately run XP with basic applications such as surfing the web with a browser. I always reccomend 512 as a minimum for XP.

Get some more RAM and you'll probably see a vast performance improvement overall.

3. jon2891

jon2891 Thread Starter

Thanks for helpful advice....Will look into cost of upgrading...Cheers..Jon.

4. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Do yourself a favor and go with a Gig. You'll be glad ya did (y)

5. slipe

slipe

You can help yourself in the meantime. Clean out your startup and services. When you go Edit > Preferences > Memory and Image Cache you will see how much RAM is available to Photoshop. It is taking only a percent of that available RAM. If you clean out your startup and services that number will be higher.

Then increase your percentage to around 80%. Keep in mind that Photoshop isn’t taking 80% of your total RAM but 80% of what is left over after everything else is using it. The only time setting your Photoshop percent higher can cause problems is when you need to use something like a scanner or another graphics program with Photoshop open.

Startup: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Services: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

I run myself out of RAM with a Gig working with large files and doing lots of stuff. But I never get a message – the computer just slows to a crawl when Photoshop starts using virtual memory rather than RAM. Check there is enough space where you have the scratch disc. The message is an indication something is amiss other than just too little RAM.

6. jon2891

jon2891 Thread Starter

Hi,Thanks again for advice...but as a relative beginner at computing,any ideas how to upgrade ?Grateful..Jon

7. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Sure, post what make and model your puter is: Then you'll be shown where and how to get your memory upgraded.

8. thecoalman

thecoalman

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

If you have DDR2 RAM remember this (from Dell manual):
    Its pretty easy to put them in, they just "pop" in ;).

10. jon2891

jon2891 Thread Starter

Thanks again.....Packard Bell..100201510305..Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.93 GHz ..248MB RAM.
    (wish I knew what I was talking about !!!!!!!!!).

11. lister

lister

Go to the link thecoalman gave you.

You can have Crucial scan your PC and it will tell you what type of RAM you need (and recommend some). Take a note of the type and either buy it there or shop around.

12. jon2891

jon2891 Thread Starter

Thank you all....Most helpful..Sincerely...Jon.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice