1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ram/megabyte loss on harddrive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cleishy, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cleishy

cleishy Thread Starter

please help i have lost one byte somewhere on my systems icon there are only 31 bytes reported there should be 32 i installed mcaffees nutsnbolts from a cd rom i think it is on the computers memory before windows programme starts how do i delete it from the computer as a result my computer runs very slowly especially when downloading from the net because of the missing byte anyone have any ideas please help thanks a lot cleishy

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

CPU usage: the percentage of processing power being consumed. Measuring CPU usage is not precise, so what is displayed here is an approximation. It could be 2-3% more or less than what is displayed.

If you're cutting it that close on the actual ammount of RAM needed then it is best you Uninstall the program using it's own uninstall engine or thru the add/remove in the CP.

DS

3. Dan O

Dan O

Try Add/Remove Programs with the Control Panel, or look in the McAffee Menu folder for an uninstall.

4. TechChick

TechChick

I think you're referring to 32/31 megabytes of memory or RAM. If your system only shows 31MB, the other 1MB is likely being used for video memory. Nothing you install or uninstall with affect that number. You might be able to increase your video memory which would decrease your system memory, but you can't get the other 1MB back unless you disable on-board video and install a separate video card.

I doubt that one megabyte of memory would significantly affect performance. Uninstalling McAfee will almost definitely help, though, since it's probably using a very high amount of system resources. I highly suggest you get more memory for your computer. 32MB isn't very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice