1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Memory issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by golfman, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golfman

golfman Thread Starter

Ok, heres the prob...

I have a 1Gig Dell Dimension 4100 with 256mb RAM. Up until a few weeks ago it had 512mb SDRAM(2-256mb modules PC-133). Then one day I turned PC on and it only reported 256mb.

I removed the memory module that wasnt being reported and tried the other module in each slot to make sure it wasnt the slot that was bad. It works in either slot so I bought a new 256mb module to get back to 512mb.

I ordered my new ram off the net and when I got it and installed it, my PC wouldnt boot up(tried both slots--every combination--as long as the new module is in my PC it won't boot up) -- so I returned the module and they sent me another one. Now I'm having the same problem. They insist its the right module but I dont think it can be, although the new module does say PC133 SDRAM on it.

Am I missing something here or could this be the wrong memory?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. raybro

raybro

Did you try the supposedley bad original memory stick in both slots? Could have been poorly seated in the first place. Also. some RAM just doesn't mix well with other brands of RAM. I always make an effort to have all sticks the same make/type. My personal preference is Crucial RAM... never had a problem with it.

3. golfman

golfman Thread Starter

Yes, I did try the bad module in both slots. I also thought the same thing... maybe it just wasnt mixing well with the other module... but even when I put the new module in by itself the PC wont boot up.

4. raybro

raybro

What I suggest is you install the old functional RAM stick by itself. Then download/install AIDA32 here (it's free)

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

Go into the motherboard section and check out just exactly what kind of RAM you have. Here's a screen shot of AIDA32

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well your old RAM is PC100, not 133. Some new modules do not work properly because of density issues and such in older machines.

They are obviously not sending you the right modules, because it they were then they should work, right? I too like Crucial, if if I buy else where I generally look to them to see what they recommend.

6. byon

byon

The rams are incompatible that means to say. Kingston would be the next runnerup after Crucial.

7. golfman

golfman Thread Starter

Ok, I got a new Kingston module to match the other one and everything works fine. Thanks for the help :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice