RAM Memory issue...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golfman

Ok, heres the prob...

I have a 1Gig Dell Dimension 4100 with 256mb RAM. Up until a few weeks ago it had 512mb SDRAM(2-256mb modules PC-133). Then one day I turned PC on and it only reported 256mb.

I removed the memory module that wasnt being reported and tried the other module in each slot to make sure it wasnt the slot that was bad. It works in either slot so I bought a new 256mb module to get back to 512mb.

I ordered my new ram off the net and when I got it and installed it, my PC wouldnt boot up(tried both slots--every combination--as long as the new module is in my PC it won't boot up) -- so I returned the module and they sent me another one. Now I'm having the same problem. They insist its the right module but I dont think it can be, although the new module does say PC133 SDRAM on it.

Am I missing something here or could this be the wrong memory?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Did you try the supposedley bad original memory stick in both slots? Could have been poorly seated in the first place. Also. some RAM just doesn't mix well with other brands of RAM. I always make an effort to have all sticks the same make/type. My personal preference is Crucial RAM... never had a problem with it.

golfman

Yes, I did try the bad module in both slots. I also thought the same thing... maybe it just wasnt mixing well with the other module... but even when I put the new module in by itself the PC wont boot up.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well your old RAM is PC100, not 133. Some new modules do not work properly because of density issues and such in older machines.

They are obviously not sending you the right modules, because it they were then they should work, right? I too like Crucial, if if I buy else where I generally look to them to see what they recommend.

The rams are incompatible that means to say. Kingston would be the next runnerup after Crucial.

golfman

Ok, I got a new Kingston module to match the other one and everything works fine. Thanks for the help :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online