RAM & Motherboard troubles.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattysimins

A while ago I had a problem with my ram, STOP 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
with the parameters:
0x0000008F
0x00007021
0x00007001
0x00000000

In the end the problem was my ram, I have a bioware M7NCD Ultra, which has 3 slots for ram, two of which are dual channel. Previously I was using 2x256 dual channel ram and a 512 stick in the non dual channel slot.. When the error happened I took out one of the dual channel and it worked.

Now, I bought two 1gig sticks, but when I replace them in the slots that had previously been working with a 512 stick and a 256 stick the computer freezes in the windows loading screen. I also tried it with a 1gig and the 512, but that didn't work. Right now, I'm using a 1 gig stick in the lone slot not made for dual channel, as it is the only one that will work.

Question is is the problem my motherboard or would it work if I reformat my Hard drive? (The original problems started around when I tried getting a lexmark driver for a printer)

valis

I can't imagine that reformatting the harddrive would have any effect whatsoever on the ram. To be honest, this sounds more like a question for a hardware expert like SirKenin or Tapeuup, but I think you just got some bad ram. I know with dual channel ddr you can have two of the three slots filled, but toss something in the third slot and you lose the dual channel part...

see what happens when only the two dual channel slots are used with the appropriate ram. but again, I cannot see how formatting a hd will have any effect on the ram. You also could be overloading the specs for the mobo. What type is it?

mattysimins

I figured that since it started when I tried to install a driver that failed and I don't know what happened to what was supposed to be installing then maybe it screwed something else up.

When the original problem happened I tried using the dual channel slots with the right ram but I thought that they were what the problem was since it didn't work, but ONE of those could run with the 512 stick.

Now that I have the two 1gig sticks I tried putting them in the same slots that the 512 and the one dual channel that I had them in, but it didn't work.

The mobo is a biostar M7NCD ultra, with (from their official site):
Memory:
3 x 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM
Maximum 3.0 GB
Dual Channel DDR 200/266/333/400
For Dual-channel DDR (128-bit) performance, at least 2 or more DIMM modules must be installed in both DIMMA and DIMMB. With only one DIMM module installed, the memory performance is limited to 64-bit.

The two new sticks (one of which I am using right now, they just did not work together) are 1gig PC 3200 400MHz DDR

All I want to do is use the second stick with the first, haha.

valis

well, your mobo can obviously handle that much mem, which is good. Have you tested the 3rd module by itself to make sure that it works?

Rukee

Banned
test each 1 gig stick alone. Each should work fine. Then run with both 1 gig sticks in the correct slots for dual channel. To run dual channel you should only run 2 matching sticks, never mix and match size and speeds of sticks. If either of the sticks fail on it`s own, or the both together fail, then there is a problem with the memory or the compatibility of them with the motherboard.

mattysimins

They did not work fine. The one is fine (which I am using now), and the other just freezes when windows starts up or things are starting up, I'm returning that one.

I think I was a little unclear before, the two were not dual channel but identical sticks.

Anyway, aside from that problem I still can't use the 1 gig stick with a 512mb stick like how I was using a 512 and a 256 before... and I can't use the first slot at ALL.

Rukee

Banned
You should not mix and match memory size and speeds in a dual channel system. You should always run two matched sticks preferably bought in a kit. If possable, return both those sticks as defective and exchange for a dual channel 'kit'.

mattysimins

Alright so I tried a few things and now I can start the computer with some ram, but after a while (an hour at most) I get the stop error.

Is it my motherboard? the bios, maybe?

Rukee

Banned
are you still running two diffrent size and speed memory sticks??
Or did you only have 1 stick in this last time you had the problem??

Rukee

Banned
I`d exchange both of those 1gig sticks and get a matched set of DDR RAM. At least you`ll know that they will work together as most kits are pretested to be sure they will work together. These ar about the best and fastest sticks you can buy, and if they don`t work, the guys at the OCZ forums can either tell you how to set them up, or get you sticks that will work in your rig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45
I only buy OCZ, they have fantastic support and excellent products.

mattysimins

I think I'll do that, but I'm on a budget so I'll avoid the higher costing RAM. I still think that a problem is my motherboard because when the original STOP message occured I had been using a 512 stick in the non dual channel slot and 2x256 sticks for a few years, and then I had to remove one from the top slot and have not been able to use it since. Even when I put a single stick in there (and none others) it fails to operate.

Rukee

Banned
cheap RAM is just that, cheap, and more trouble then it`s worth. :(

mattysimins

The ram I have now isn't cheap, or so I've been told. It's Ultra pc 3200 400 mhz..
And I think you don't think that it is my motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online