RAM prblems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tenbinzo

Ok here's the problem, my computer was semi fast now its slow as hell. this is the result of me putting a stick of ram in. i already had 256 MB of ram then i put in 128 of ram. can anyone help me with this?

HCD

If there are no other factors, like virus scan etc, You are probably working with SD RAM and the 128mb RAM is a different "speed" to the 256. The speed of the RAM will default to the slowest - hence this will "probably" be your problem. Remove the 128mb. Go to www.crucial.com and get it to scan your system. It will tell you the specs of your existing RAM and your options. If you do the scan with the extra RAM in it won't be accurate.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The online scanner at www.crucial.com isn't always 100% accurate, so you should enter your computer's brand name, model name, and model number in the 3 blocks that appear. If your computer is in the database, it'll tell you how much RAM it supports and what type of modules it uses.

Combining modules of different speeds and different brand names can sometimes cause a problem.

When you right-click MY COMPUTER and then click Properties, does the bottom of the system properties window show 384 MB or some other number?

------------------------------------------------------------------

HCD

Crucial doesn't always get it spot on - especially on "older" machines. Good extra point on the spec solution. Also you can email Crucial with pc specs and they usually get back within 48 hours

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Crucial doesn't always get it spot on - especially on "older" machines.

I agree. I was checking 2 Dell models on the CRUCIAL site last night and couldn't determine what type of RAM modules they use. The same with the KINGSTON site. I finally found what I needed at the MEMORYX site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online