1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by snewton, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snewton

snewton Thread Starter

I have Windows Me and 128M RAM. System Information shows only 30M available after startup, and that gets used up quickly. I tried Cacheman, but it didn't help much. What can I do?

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi snewton,

What programs do you have running in the background and at Startup?

Engage: Ctrl-Alt-Delete to see the background programs

Go to: Start / Run / msconfig / OK / Startup...here see what is checked and cranked up when you start/run your computer.

Do you do Routine Maintenance? Delete TEMP files, Temp Internet Files, Cookies, History, etc.? Scandisk and Defrag?

Get back to us with a specific description of your computer.

Spaceman

3. snewton

snewton Thread Starter

I defragged my hd and deleted all of the temp files, cookies, & history. The system runs a little faster but I still haven't recovered much ram. The only software running after startup are two ATI programs, Explorer, and Navapw32.

4. slipe

slipe

If you Ctrl+Alt+Del you will see everything running. If you haven’t cleaned out your msconfig/startup as Spaceman suggests there are likely things running you don’t need. This is a good site with a list of everything that might show up in the startup and whether it is wise to uncheck it: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

With 128Mb of RAM you will find it is all used up quickly for cache. This isn’t a bad thing unless you are running Win95. Win98 and newer return the cached RAM when it is needed by programs. And the RAM cache speeds things up.

Cacheman is a bad deal for anything but Win95 as well. There is no need to mess with the vcache and it is a really bad idea to have it put an artificial RAM load on to “recover” RAM. If you dump the program be sure to set the minimum cache back to zero and the max to 128 before you dump it or the settings will stay in your system ini.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Are you having specific probems?
    Windows will use all available memory to work. Much is assigned to the file cache, BUT, this is very quikly returned if required. Using a program like Cacheman is a waste of time.

The programs you mention, are these as a result of doing a Ctl-alt-del, or looking in the Startup tab of MsConfig. If it is the former, this does not show all running apps.

The other thing it could be is a virus or spyware that is taking more ram than necessary. Have you run a full virus scan with updated defintions.
    And, download and run SpyBot.

6. snewton

snewton Thread Starter

I checked for viruses and found none. I also ran SpyBot and fixed several files. I still don't have any more ram free. I only have two ATI programs, Explorer, and Winmgr running.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice