RAM Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

astrodaddy

Hello,

I recently won an auction on Ebay for a Kingston 256 mb ram card for my com. After I installed it, my new RAM only reads an increase of 24 mb.

Before installation - 196 Mb
After installation - 220 Mb

Could I have done something wrong, or have I been possibly swindled?

Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd suspect the latter. eBay is not the place to buy memory, since there are dirt cheap places to buy new and warrantied memory.

dustyjay

Jay
Did you get a return of faulty product warranty when you "Won" this auction? Or is this from a private party selling things? I would if possible return it for either a refund or replacement if possible. Unless of course it was an "As is" item then you are stuck with it.

astrodaddy

I also just read in another thread about one sided and two sided types of RAM. The old ones I have are one sided whle this one is two sided.

Could this make a difference?

dustyjay

Jay
I would return it, then go to either the Kingston web site or the Crucial website and get teh ram recommended for you system by them. You can go to Staples or Office Max and pick up PC133 Ram there. they still carry it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Next time try PriceWatch, I see lots of brand name choices for less than you paid for the memory when you consider shipping. These places will also make it right if you get bad memory.

I'd remove your existing memory and try this stick alone, just to see what you get. You can try to contact the member and get satisfaction. He appears not to have any negative feedback, so I'm sure he won't welcome it if he doesn't make it right.

astrodaddy

Thanks all,

Heres the response I received from the seller....

What system are you using it with? The reason that may not work is
because you may be trying to use it in the wrong system or that system
does not support the CAS latency.

Could this be true?

How do I find out if this is the problem?

Its installed in a P2 350 mHz com with a 10 gig hard drive running ME.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online