1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alandaubney226, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alandaubney226

alandaubney226 Thread Starter

Only had computer and internet a couple of months but it is a bit slow so i asked a guy I know how to fix and he said get ram. I gave him my motherboard number, ECS 661FX-M7 (he asked for it, I have no idea) and told me to get 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin. I put it in yesterday next to other 256mb ram and it all sped up. Wooo hoooo. But then it all went wrong, Mozilla Firefox shuts down when it feels like it and gives me a box saying it had to shut down, 'send error report' and 'don't send'. On you tube it would say 'flash player has performed an illegal operation it is advised you close mozilla' and every so often the whole thing would go black and reboots like i've just turned it on. So I took the 1gb new ram out and everythings fine again, but slow. Anyone help me with whats going on?:confused:

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi!

According to your system specifications, the Celeron D336 runs at 533MHz bus. In which case, I would expect your memory to be running at 333Mhz with this configuration. I know a lot of the HIGH END motherboards will handle and allow systems to run with a HIGHER rated memory installed, such as the DDR400 when operating at DDR333.

You obviously have a memory issue, because after removing your memory and going back to 256MB your system runs. Yes, it will be slow with 256MB installed.

Question, what speed is your 256MB chip? Take a look at the chip and see if it is identified. Also, you can enter your BIOS SETUP and most likely see what type of memory is installed (the 256MB Chip) and at what speed it is running by looking at the basic information.

Have you tried running the 1GB chip alone without the 256MB chip installed? I would try that to see how the system runs. The two different memory types may be causing your issue also.

Keep us posted!

Thanks!

Shane

3. alandaubney226

Thank you. I will try it now, did think about that after leaving the post but thought i'd wait to see what anyone thought. Thanks again.

4. alandaubney226

Tried it with just 1gb ram and it gets to screen saying windows xp where blue loading bar srolls across thin horizontal rectangle and after a while start back from begining giving options for safe startup, safe startup with networking, and normal. none work. Looked at label on 256mb ram while i had it out. GDDR400 256mb 16mx16 2.5v UI. GU24256ADUII4020.

5. pinntech

pinntech

What is the 1GB stick labeled as? Manufacturer and soforth?

6. alandaubney226

elixir. M2Y1G64DS8HC1G-5T.0721.XX.TW .then barcode. under that.
    PC3200U-30331.1GB.2Rx8.400
    MS0752104C.

7. pinntech

pinntech

Hi..

I just went to the ECS website and found that there are two versions of your motherboard. There is a 1.1 and 1.2.

The BIOS files for them look to be the same and in both BIOS updates there seems to be memory fixes. It doesn’t really specify much about what fixes they are, but it says:

“Improve memory more stable”

It looks like these boards may just have memory issues if all their updates seem to address memory stability issues.

I would go get a different memory module and try it. Get your money back for the one you have.

I would go to Kingston and get memory they specifically state will work in your motherboard. I usually don’t abide by this, but in your case I would do that.

Here is a link to the Kingston site for the memory specifically for your motherboard:

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...X-M7+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Here is a link to your motherboard, but you need to determine which PCB revision you have, either 1.1 or 1.2. This is usually listed on the motherboard right under or beside the board model number.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/SearchResult.aspx?q=661FX-M7&f=Products&MenuID=104&LanID=9

You could update the BIOS, but I would get the board specific memory first and try it. If that fails, then update your BIOS if you do not have the most current version installed.

Sorry that I couldn’t give you a definitive answer, but each motherboard reacts differently to different RAM manufacturers.

Let me know if you need more help or if a different RAM chip solves your problem.

Thanks…

Shane

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice