1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JHR, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHR

JHR Thread Starter

I bought a pc100 256mb stick to addto my 128. I tried to install it into the second DIMM but got an error with the system registry and the computer auto reboots. Took it out and put the 256 into the #1 DIMM and turned it on. Ran fine but only showed 128mb in properties under my computer. Am I missing something here, is there a change to the bios I need to make?

2. ratchet

ratchet

JHR,
    In win98 go to start/run/ type msconfig /press enter.
    Under general press advanced and check to see if "limit memory
    is checked. Also I'm not positive but some mother boards only
    take matched sets of memory, ie 128mb x2...
    Check with mobo manufactuer.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

JHR
    Ratchet is correct that some Motherboards are capable of a certian amount of memory.......If your system is not custom built you can go to www.crucial.com and find your system and it should tell you what the max is.
    Another thought is always insert the largest memory stick in slot one.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice