ram problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

haggisandneeps

hi there this is my first post and i have a little proplem that i need help with. i have just built a new machine and everything is working fine apart from one thing that has me baffled. the problem is the ram, when i installed windows i had a 512mb pc3200 but then i tried to put in two 1gb pc2700 and i would not accept it. so i put in a different 512mb pc3200 an it wouldnt accept that either? so then i put the original 512 that i used with the install and it worked fine. also after i put the two gig in the comp started up but only a blank screen and nothing else, when i put the 512 back in it comes up okdram to tightly so reload timing. i know the ram isnt faulty because it works fine in my other machine so is there something in the bios thats needing fixed or is it something with the board? i checked the board and it does support the ram. the board is an MSI NEO2-P and the proc is an intel 4 any help would be so helpfull cheers. haggisandneeps

haggisandneeps

thanks daveburnett but to be honest i dont understand that at all!. i knew it would be technical but i am just a novice could someone spell it out in plain english because i am just a dummy:( thanks again haggisandneeps

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Basically not all RAM chips work at the same speed internally.
For example, on my system I have two chips at the moment:

Chip [email protected] 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Chip [email protected] 133 MHz 2.0-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

What you need to do is look on the labels on the chips you have.
The important bits are the 2.5-3-3-7 and the 2.0-3-3-6 as these are called the memory timings. The most important of these is the first one and is usually called CAS and you may be able to go into your BIOS and change your system to match the timing on the memory.
It should then work..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online