1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ram problems asus a7n8x-x

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I have got a computer at the moment that has an amd athlon xp 3200+ in an asus a7n8x-x motherboard. the manual for the asus say it can have up to 3gb of ddr 400 ram. When ever I put a 1GB stick in the slot it doesnt detect it. It has 3 slots and 1gb sticks dont work in any of them. Any ideas.

Thanking in advanced Jack.

2. jack-o-bytes

Any body got any ideas?

3. jezzer123

jezzer123

Do you only have 1, 1GB stick of ram? if so, it may be damaged, and so the Motherboard will not pick it up, try the stick in another computer, if it doesnt work in the other computer, the RAM is more likely then not damaged, if it does work in the other computer, then i would send the computer back if you can, and have it repaired. Has the computer ever been thrown about, and when changing things on the MB have you perhaps leant on it, this could cause issues with the slots.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like the ram you have is incompatible. did you match it using a configurator at a ram maker site? www,crucial, kingston or corsair.com will give you an exact model match as there is a lot more to matching ram than buying a stick of any ddr 400.

5. jack-o-bytes

It is the right type I took it up to a computer shop near me and they checked and also I do know about high and low density as well. Any Ideas?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well that is my point. It seems the further along technology advances, the more difficult it gets to match ram to a board. These days I buy only Crucial though not necessarily from them as it is the only one I can match and they guaranty it works.

Yes density is a key but most board mfgrs do a pathetic job matching ram models to their boards and the best prices are always on ram you can find no indication works with a particular board.

Recently I bought Kingston where you can match at www.kingston.com at a configurator and that has worked for me also in the past and had it not work in a Dell laptop. I am tired of these issues. You might want to make sure the bios on your board is ok for the ram you bought, that may well have been an issue I overlooked on the laptop but it's a shame this has to be such a detective match to solve.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice