1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM problems (urgent)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scutofwump, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scutofwump

scutofwump Thread Starter

To Begin:

Computer Specs

Dell XPS 400
    Specifications: (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm )
    Radeon HD 4800

I am visiting a friend in west virginia and he purchased a 1gb stick of ram with the incorrect pins that could fit his mother board. I removed his elder ram stick ( as all of his 4 slots were full with 512 MB sticks ) and noticed it was the wrong size. I reinserted the original RAM . I loaded windows and windows no longer was showing 2 gigs of ram ( the starting point of RAM available ) and now only shows 1.5 GB , which indicates ( obviously ) that the computer is not detecting the RAM stick i removed and reinserted. I tripple checked that it is in right and I just cannot figure out why it is acting like this. I am in desperation to fix the issue because now I have slowed down the person I am visiting's computer ( as his Windows XP takes up 1600-1800 MB of ram in casual use ; so now it is freezing ). If someone could give me several routes to advice, please do so. I will be checking the forum frequently as I am trying to fix this as soon as possible.

2. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

3. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

I inserted my new RAM yesterday, and it didn't work either. Untill I pushed it in all the way that is~ (after dusting with microfiber cloth)

Can you check to see if the white ram levers that hold the ram in place are all lined up? The RAM that didn't fit on mine where pushed out a little, because it wasn't pushed in all the way.

You could have also put it in the wrong direction. (side) I think the stickers should be facing the same way.

Worst case you didn't ground yourself from electricity when you unplugged the RAM and you fried the RAM with a static shock.. Did you ground yourself? Or touch the gold plated connectors?

If you end up owing him RAM might as well get him a 1gb dual channel kit (2gb full) same speed/type he has on the 512 RAM.

after editz:
    What sorcerer said too
    Yeah memtest for them to see if the slot itself works with other RAMs. If you need too. Or if the other RAMs work as well n'stuff

4. scutofwump

Well now the plot thickens. I decided to look at the BIOS out of curiosity and discovered that it was actually a RAM stick i didn't touch! So the person i am visiting decided they were going to remove the appropriate ram stick while the computer was on and I was sitting here looking at him do it in awe! Now the computer wont boot up at all I am getting the Blue Screen of Death. IT says...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer
    (blahblahblah...::

Technical Information :
    *** STOP: 0x00000050 ( 0xE19FC410, 0x00000000 , 0x8055159A, 0x00000001 )

Beginning dump of physical memory.

------

Now heres the catch. I was going to insert the Operating System Disk and try to repair it that way, however, the CD -ROMS wont open as they are faulty. -.- . Any advice please

5. arcenite

arcenite

The memory controller on that motherboard is dual channel which means you need to install memory in pairs. By removing one stick you probably confused the bejesus out of it.

First thing I'd try is take all the sticks out, shuffle them up (not on carpet), and try and put them back in.

6. scutofwump

as always you were right bill, works fine now, i owe ya :D

7. replay

replay

u don't need to install memory in pairs.......... it will work fine as "single channel"

8. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

Is everything ok now?

9. scutofwump

Yes, thankyou, arcenite was right, the motherboard is built for dual-channel systems. Thats dell for ya!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice