1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fosarch, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fosarch

fosarch Thread Starter

i have a Gateway 1Ghz PIII- it came with 512Kb - i have 3 RAM slots - i now have 1-512Kb(new); 1-512Kb(original) and 1-128Kb(older, previously installed)... it appears that i can only access the "0" slot....i have tried rearranging the cards ( not had the 128 in the "0" slot --) and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the Total Ram displayed on the "PROPERTIES" for MY COMPUTER....it stays at 512Kb....when i made the first try at inserting the new card - slot 2 ( 0-1-2 ) the opening screen was the one that counted the memory....it got to 512 and then displayed the slots 1 & 2 as NOT INITIALIZED. i've looked in as many places as i can and i am unable to figure out how to "initialize" the slots/cards.....

any ideas out there?

"We know the truth, not only by reason, but also by the heart"
    Blaise Pascal

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi, What's the exact model number of the Gateway PC?

3. dai

dai

if you are using an older version of windows it will only recognise 512mg

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What's the maximum ram for your system.

5. fosarch

fosarch Thread Starter

hey folks.....just goes to show you that reading the books that come with the COW BOX ( Gateway ) is part of the process......only have 512Kb capacity

6. ~Candy~

Hi, I received your pm as well. That doesn't make sense. If you have 3 ram slots, the maximum ram per slot can be divided by the maximum ram for the system. So if you are saying the max is 512 and the system came with 512 (one chip) that does not compute. For example, maximum ram 512 divided by 3 available slots. You would not be able to use a 512 meg chip to begin with.

Also, you said 512 kb.....what are you reading? 512 kb is not 512 megs......big difference.

7. fosarch

fosarch Thread Starter

you're right about the Kb vs Mb....Mb it is ..... i have all three slots filled in this order

0=512
    1=128
    2=512

the PC 1000 will only address the first 512 ( all i needed to do was read the stupid book)

so i'm maxed out with 512 with or without the slots being "full"....i'm just using the other slots for "convenient storage"

the answer from gateway about extending the readable RAM is a new mother board

the question has been answered, unfortunately....course its almost a dinosaur....i've had it for almost 4 years.....

thanx for your response

8. ~Candy~

Sorry, but that still doesn't make sense for me. And trust me, I could be dead arse wrong, but, I've never seen a computer with maximum ram of X divided by the number of slots, and yet you can put one 512 chip in one slot there and it is recognized as 512?

What happens when you pull the other chips and have only one chip of 512 installed?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice