RAM Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Martin2k5

Hello,

I friend of mine is having serious problems with their computer.

It's running really slow and is in desperate need of some new memory.

I've had a look under "My Computer" and it says that there is currently 240mb or RAM installed. I decided to run the Crucial memory scanner which said that the computer can hold 512mb and that there are two slots each with 256mb RAM (Total of 512mb "installed").

I'm really confused with which to believe! Do you think the installed memory could be faulty or is it a fault with the Crucial scanner?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

well get us the motherboard specs and we might be able to help you better.

Martin2k5

Not sure if this is what you wanted, but this is what the Crucial Memory Scanner returned:

Computer Manufacturer: MSI (Micro Star)

CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD

CPU Speed: 1303MHz

Front-Side Bus Speed: 100Mhz

Currently "installed" Memory: 512mb

Maximum Memory Capacity: 512mb

Total Number of Memory Slots: 2

by wat you just said you got max memory already in the pc. We need the motherboard model to see wat it can support if your showing 240 maybe 1 chip is bad.

Martin2k5

Thanks for the info. How would I find out what type of motherboard they have?

Martin

could open the case and look in it for a model # or run a program like sisoft sandra or everest

Martin2k5

I've managed to get some details about the computer.

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6511 (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8365A ProSavage KM133A
System Memory 240 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (09/24/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer MicroStar Inc.
Product MS-6511
Version 1.0
Serial Number 00000000

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 32-bit ECC
Error Correction Single-bit
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types SPM, FPM, EDO, Parity, ECC, SIMM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 512 MB
Memory Slots 2

[ Memory Modules / DIMM-0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM-0
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 128 MB
Enabled Size 128 MB

[ Memory Modules / DIMM-1 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation DIMM-1
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 128 MB
Enabled Size 128 MB

[ Memory Devices / DIMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 133 MHz
Total Width 8-bit
Data Width 8-bit
Device Locator DIMM1
Bank Locator BANK0

[ Memory Devices / DIMM2 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 133 MHz
Total Width 8-bit
Data Width 8-bit
Device Locator DIMM2
Bank Locator BANK1

I have more info if you need it.

Thanks again,

Martin

Says you have 256mb installed, 240mb available. You most likely have the on-board video option enabled, taking up the missing 16mb. Check in bios, see if onboard video is doing that.

As to it running slow. What version of Windows are you running? Did this just start recently? Has your friend run ad-ware se personal and spybot to remove possible spyware? Cleaned out temp folders, disabled programs at startup that could be wasting resources and running pointlessly in the background?

Martin2k5

They are running Windows XP with SP2. It's been sluggish for a while. They had a few viruses that I managed to get rid of with avast and I got rid of the spyware with Spy Sweeper and HijackThis.

It is running much better now but really needs some more memory in it. I understand that the video card could use the 16mb, but why does crucial say that there is 512mb installed? Does that mean one of the sticks of RAM is faulty?

Martin

If My computer says you have 240 (256 really) and the log you listed also says you have two sticks of 128mb not two sticks of 256mb I'd trust those over crucial. I know some people here swear by crucial, but they have been wrong before, nothing is perfect 100% of the time. I had a motherboard they said only supported 384mb and it really supported 768mb so you never know. Enter into BIOS and see how much memory it lists. And a quick little program you can download to see memory amount is CPUZ, doesn't have to be installed or anything. If eveything except crucial says 256mb I'd trust them. And that would explainthe sluggish running of XP. XP runs best with 512mb or more.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Hmm, looking up the chipset it seems 1.5Gb is the max. So that would be 512MB per slot based on three slots or 1GB total with two slots. Conflicting information for sure.

I guess he needs to answer if this is a brand name system or not.

Martin2k5

It's a Packard Bell iMedia 4716 desktop. Crucial says that this can hold a total of 512mb.

Thanks,
Martin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts