1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM Problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolflink, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

I just built a new computer, and it worked fine the first few days. Now, it won't go past the POST screen. The last thing it shows on the screen is:

CPU0 Memory information: DDR 400 Dual Channel, 128-bit

Tcl :3 Trcd :3 Tras :8 Trp :3 (2T Timing)

I'm not able to get into the BIOS to check the settings. Yesterday, I was able to get past this by clearing the CMOS memory. Any idea what the problem is? Has the BIOS been corrupted somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since it appears you are using two sticks of RAM, what happens if you try each stick separately?

Also could you list the makes and models of all the hardware you have?

3. Slythe

Slythe

try holding down <insert> as you boot up, holding it for about 8 seconds.
    this will definitely hurt your ears with that damn pc speaker!
    but it sets your bios settings to default and usually fixes such problem with ram timing etc...

4. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

Holding down <insert> didn't work. Same thing happens with one or two sticks.

Hardware:

PSU: Ultra X3 600W Modular
    MOBO: Mach-Speed MSNV-939
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
    HDD: WD Caviar SE16 250GB
    Video Card: Diamond ATI Radeon X1650 PRO SB Edition 512MB PCIE

Not sure if you need any other hardware info (optical drives, NIC, etc).

Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but I had to replace the PSU. The two fans in the first PSU didn't work.

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Try setting Tras to 12. It may slow things down, but it tends to be the one that buggers things around. If that works, drop it gradually until it stops, then you know whaere to hold it.

6. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

I've never messed with RAM settings before. I know how to change the voltage going to the RAM but that's it. Where in the BIOS would I go to change that setting?

7. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried clearing the CMOS again to see if it would allow me back into the BIOS, but this time, it wouldn't let me. It's still sitting at the POST screen showing the RAM settings.

8. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

Ignore my last post. I was finally able to get into the BIOS and change the settings. It's now working fine again. Could it have been the fact that I had CD-ROM on the boot sequence twice? I have CD-ROM first and HDD second. I disabled the third boot device, and it's working fine now. Sorry to trouble you over something so simple. Oh well, live and learn.

9. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

Sorry for the extra posts, but I think I just figured out the problem. I had installed two fans in front of the case to bring in cooler air. When they're plugged in, the computer acts up. When they're unplugged, the computer works fine. How can fans cause the computer to act up? The two fans are on their own power cable from the PSU.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What power supply do you have? You might have a cheap unit or its just being overtaxed and you might need a higher wattage unit.

11. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

It's an Ultra X3 600W Modular PSU. It don't really see how it could be overtaxed. I've read that graphics card I have can pull around 450W at max load, but I know it's not anywhere near there. I've got three other fans in the case (top, side, and back); I guess the wattage can add up fast.

12. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

Okay, I'm really starting to get annoyed. Right after I replied, the computer decided to restart itself. Now, it's acting up again. So, apparently, it's not the fans. Any clue what else it could be?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. 06s2blakeleyl

06s2blakeleyl

i had this problem before and to get it to work i had to keep pressing the tab key until it went past thepost screen...i tried holding but it did nothing..... as for ram compatability find the name of ure motherboard and check the lsting on the internet (if u have access to other comp) this will allow you to find the tested memory for your mb

15. wolflink

wolflink Thread Starter

I take it you're suspecting the RAM. What if the computer can't stay on that long? When I was running it earlier, it had been on for less than 30 minutes before it restarted itself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice