1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LuDawg23, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LuDawg23

LuDawg23 Thread Starter

Hope you guys can help me. I have a pIII 1ghz system with 640mb of RAM. 2 sticks of 256mb and a stick of 128mb. I just ran a full system test at pcpitstop.com and it says this...

"Memory performance of this system, 966 megabytes per second, is significantly lower than average. Systems with the same processor and amount of memory typically perform at a level of 2186.72 MB/s."

They recommended me enabling the processor/memory cache in BIOS but it's all ready on. can anyone help???? :confused:

Thanks,

- Andrew

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Never mind that misleading Pitstop information. Unless you actually see a problem don't figure there is one just because a faceless website implies there might be. You're the second one I've seen wonder about the misleading language of that site. Fact is they advertise for Crucial, banner right by the test results. While Crucial is a ecxellent place to buy memory on-line, know that PCPS advertises memory sales for them. The site just Claims your memory is slower than average, it doesn't say we guarantee there's a problem, OK? What are they comparing against? No way to tell!

Just because a thing is said, doesn't make it true now does it?

Your fine. BTW, if you don't want that RAM I'll use it over here. ;)

Kasimir

3. slipe

slipe

4. deuce

deuce

Memory transfering data at 2186.72 MBps is pc2100 DDR SDRAM. What pc pitstop is telling you is that with your configuration--1 Ghz PIII with 640 mb Ram--your transfer rate is lower because you use normal SDRam, and the typical setup for your amount of memory and cpu speed and cpu (PIII) uses DDR. What you have to understand is, that having a PIII right there says about half of the people will use DDR. PIII is at least twice as expensive as the Celeron, depending on what speed and sometimes more, and is the same cpu (comes off same assembly line, made with same material, same size leads in microns, same number of pins and work vice-versa in the same socket with the same chipsets on the same mobos) but they are more because they have a L2 cache that is twice as big (512 kb as apposed to 256). So it is safe to say half the people getting a PIII 1 Ghz (current retail is around $200 me thinks) is just the kind that will want DDR. Now the fact that you have 640 mb ram, well that is way more than anyone needs now (except graphics professionals) and so most people with that much memory are also the type that want DDR... hence why most people with 1 Ghz PIII with 640 mb memory use DDR. It is pretty much the same reason why geeky 24 year-old computer hacks that live in their parent's basement use only UNIX... :rolleyes: :D ;)

Sorry to ramble on like that... I am just trying to explain what is going on here and why. So anyway... your memory is just fine and couldn't be functioning any better. You also don't have any reason to upgrade because (1) you need a new mobo and (2) DDR isn't needed unless you just want it because it is slightly faster. It is faster enough to notice the difference, but it isn't much of a difference because it still is all fast. The pc pitstop should be giving you those results reflecting those with the same configuration using the SAME type of ram... but then again they are selling ram (as it has been mentioned) anyway.

Edit: It maybe misleading... but it is still true and that is apparently why they can do it to attract business... or whatever I don't really know. :rolleyes :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice