1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RAM problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cardboard Box, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cardboard Box

Cardboard Box Thread Starter

Hi

I bought a new 1 gb RAM chip to supplement my 512 mbs, and stuck the RAM in fine. But then I could only put in the new 1 gb chip because the 512 with the 1 gb made my computer lock up. Anyone know why? I'm fine with 1 gb, but if i can get 1.5 gbs, it will be much better.

Also, the exact time I put in my new RAM, certain sounds and special effects stopped playing, sounded very soft or sounded distorted in my loudspeaker. :mad:

In medieval total war 2, the voices didn't appear and in Oblivion, the sound of unsheathing, sheathing, hitting and talking was distorted. Strangely enough, the sound of voices was louder when I turned my characters head to look at the talking person sideways. :confused:

2. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Sounds like you might have accidentally jarred loose other connectors within your case.

Open it back up and fully inspect that all connectors are fully seated.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

Check the speed of both sticks of RAM, make sure the slower of the two is in the first RAM slot (they should be numbered). As for your sound, do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup? It sounds like you've got your speakers plugged into the wrong sockets.

4. Cardboard Box

Cardboard Box Thread Starter

Hi

Well, I think the speaker problem has been solved. The speaker kind of died at the same time as I put in the RAM. I got a new speaker now, which works fine. By the way, is sticking in graphics cards very hard cause I wanna put in a new chip except I don't want to pay the extra for the dude to place it in. :D

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Naw, its just as easy as RAM, just make sure you get the right one for the slot (PCI-e, AGP etc.) and that your power supply can handle it.

As for the RAM sounds as if the two are just plain and simple incompatible, it happens with RAM its very picky... You may just be stuck with the 1GB for the time being i'm afraid.

Hope that helps :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice